Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-24-12, 08:04 PM   #1
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Finally adding solar..

Well in my usual fashion of having 5000 projects at once I added another one

I picked up 2 145 watt panels on amazon, a cheap grid tie inverter and I got a outback mx60 off fleabay for cheap (used).. Then I'll need a few batteries ill end up going with some SAMs club golf cart batteries 6v 225ah for around 90$ each..

As far as panel mounts, well I haven't gotten there yet or nor have I figured out where in my yard I'm going to put them.. Because certain parts of the year would be better in one spot then another...

Anyway that's all I really have at the moment..

Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 09:08 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Very interesting. What do you plan on running off of it? Also, why did you get a grid tie converter and charge controller? I thought if you wanted battery backup for power outages they usually combined those features into one gizmo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 09:12 PM   #3
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well initially I'm just going to use it to lower my bill I tiny bit.. Eventually I want to get one of the super awesome inverters for battery back up and run the house off of it.. Or as much as possible anyway
Old 10-31-12, 01:04 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

So, these are going to be ground mounted? Are you planning on using a tracker?

&
Old 10-31-12, 08:44 PM   #5
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

For now it's just going to be a simple ground mount.. Planning on making a tracker at some point
Old 11-09-12, 02:05 PM   #6
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well I ended up putting them on the roof above the garage.. They get about 3 hours of sun light at the moment and as the sun continues to drop I'm sure it will be less come December.. I'm already picking out more panels probably will put me up somewhere around 1200watt or so.. I've also decided or at least almost decided on batteries they are us battery l16s with 420 ah. I've got a dealer right down the road I can get them for 275 each.. And I'll think I'll be picking up a outback grid interactive inverter soon I hope.. It's hard to pull the trigger sometimes..

Old 11-09-12, 06:37 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

3 hours??? That sounds pretty bad. Don't you have a better spot?

Need some pics!

&
Old 11-09-12, 07:06 PM   #8
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Eh I might be able to do a little better but there are trees everywhere.. Everything involves cutting down a few trees or the panels have to be 200feet away from the house and that costs a lot in cable :/
Old 11-10-12, 07:38 AM   #9
Daox
Administrator

What about thinning/trimming?

&
Old 11-10-12, 05:35 PM   #10
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

It would take a lot.. And the panels aren't pointed south they are kind of south west ish and the wrong angle.. Just wanted to get them making some power.. Once I redo the roof in the spring there won't be any panels on the roof.. So I'll either be ground mounting out by my shed or asking the neighbors if I can buy there land next to me or if I can just build a little shed in the corner and make a power shed