Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-28-17, 06:51 PM   #1
MiriamNZ
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Hi,
I'm hoping to retire in a year or so and will likely relocate and hope to install solar.
I was visiting a friend when the solar salesman was there. He used a very different logic to judge value for money that makes sense when you are retiring.

If you have money in the bank earning interest— how much do you get?
If you used that money to install solar, how much money would you save in the same period of time?

Makes sense, if the money is in the bank, especially when interest rates are dropping and unpredictable over the next decade.

Cheers
Miriam

MiriamNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 02:31 PM   #2
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Antdun,

I love your project and I do think solar and a leaf go great together but I wouldn't use the gas savings money in your calculations unless you add the cost of the car to your initial capital investment.

If you already have a gas car, are you selling it? What is it worth? How much for a leaf that you like. Maybe the one for $6k came from Houston (flooded) and you really don't want that. Who knows.

What I'm saying is, you are taking parts of a picture and now the whole picture. If you start using the benefits of the leaf in your calculation, then you need to use all the numbers from the leaf and sale of your old car. Also, as you said, I would add in the cost of oil changes from your old car. Finally, is there a difference in insurance cost between your old car and the leaf?

Again, great project.
dablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:17 PM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamNZ View Post
I was visiting a friend when the solar salesman was there. He used a very different logic to judge value for money that makes sense when you are retiring.

If you have money in the bank earning interest— how much do you get?
If you used that money to install solar, how much money would you save in the same period of time?

Makes sense, if the money is in the bank, especially when interest rates are dropping and unpredictable over the next decade.

Cheers
Miriam
For many, the short-term payback does not justify a large initial investment. As with the current economy, the vast majority would rather lease or push long-term debt into the far future. For the retired, the concepts of reverse mortgages and annuities illustrate the same line of reasoning. In this case, I would ask the question: "Does the system save more than the extra loan (or annuity) payment?" In most cases, it does, even when a turnkey system is professionally installed.

For the rest, the decision-making process isn't so straightforward. It takes a lot of faith to pay out 5 figures on anything. The whole issue of self-generation has been polarized and propagandized by the power and oil empires, as a matter of self-preservation. Average Americans in general are completely addicted to the electric and gas lines running into their homes. Breaking this lifelong addiction doesn't come easy, especially without some sort of unconditional guarantee.

Last edited by jeff5may; 09-13-17 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: ssspelllingg
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 10:49 AM   #4
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I bought my 205 watt panels 5 years ago when the price got below $1 a watt. Freight at that time from Florida to Wisconsin was a bit over $200 for a pallet of 28 panels. They were a bit cheaper by the pallet since the seller didn't have to repack them for shipment. Lately I have gotten notices of PV panels in the $.50 to .74 a watt price range.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WisJim For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (09-12-17)
Old 08-11-17, 08:41 AM   #5
mab
Lurking Renovator

WisJim,
Thanks for the info. Where do you get notifications from?

Thanks,
MIke
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 01:03 PM   #6
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I bought panels from Sunelco.com and get their email notifications, and also am on the email notifications from Renvu.com

I'll post some pics of my system when I find them.
Old 08-11-17, 01:14 PM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

+1 Renvu.com you can get some very good deals.
Get on their emailing list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-11-17 at 03:34 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 01:27 PM   #8
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

Found some pics from 2012 right after I had installed the 12 205 watt panels with Enphase M215s. The array to the right is 12 Kyocera 125 watt panels wired as 48 volts feeding our 24 volt battery through an MX60 charge controller. I installed them in 2004, I think.

Old 08-11-17, 01:45 PM   #9
mab
Lurking Renovator

I just signed up.
Thanks for the pointers.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-11-17, 01:46 PM   #10
mab
Lurking Renovator

WisJim,

is there something I need to do to be able to view your pictures?

Thanks,
Mike

Tags
diy, rec, snapnrack, solar, solaredge