View Single Post
Old 06-01-11, 01:16 AM   #37
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Well, I tried to braze a cap on some 1/2" copper and it took forever to get the pipe hot enough to accept some of the filler rod... I think this is a job for a real torch.
Xringer, I'm really not an expert on brazing, but I have gotten it to work for me...

OK, so you tried the propane torch... Were you able to get to a robust cherry red? If not, you might need a 'turbo torch'. There really is such a thing, it swirls the gas/air mix inside the torch for a better mix. I don't know that it would be worth your while to go and buy one just to see ($35 to $75). Maybe you have a friend that could loan you one so you could see if it helped.

Here's the MAPP torch I use. Got it from a big-box place for about $40. I thought I was getting robbed, but it has made a big difference for me. I've used it for all my brazing, even brazing copper tube to a brazed-plate heat exchanger that has a completely water-soaked rag on the port I was brazing to.

I'd say that the next step up after that is oxy acetylene, which really pours out heat.

...there may be an air/acetylene torch... check around.

The Silfos doesn't need flux, but the parts still need to be clean. Did you wire brush or sand the surfaces you were brazing?

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 06-01-11 at 01:18 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote