EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-14-09, 08:28 AM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Question on AC

Hey there. I was just wondering how long it takes most people's homes to cool down once their AC goes from day time temps to evening temps. It was 82F/28C (95F/35C with the humidity) yesterday afternoon and our thermostat is set to switch from 79F during the day to 75C at 4:45. Well it took till 7:00 for the AC to drop the house to 75C. That's 2 hours and 15 min of constant running time. Does anyone else have this issue?

On a side note, the night before I noticed it was taking a long time and when I went downstairs I noticed there was water on the floor and that the AC was leaking water where the tray is to catch the condensed water. So when I finally pulled everything apart I noticed the drain was plugged where the water drains out of the tray. So I pulled the gook out and things seemed to run more normal again. I did forget to clean out the tray, but I remember putting my hand on the tray and didn't really notice much gunk in it, so I figured it was clean. I check the drain out again yesterday just to make sure and did pull out a small bit that may have been left over from the day before but it was very small and not really blocking anything.

Anyway, does anyone have the same issue with it taking a long time to cool off the house? I've mostly closed the vents in the basement since it's already cool down there. Ideas? This AC unit is not that old...maybe 7 years.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 10:07 AM   #2
Higgy
The Gardener

Ok, I just read that it may be because the house is too humid, and the humidity needs to drop before the AC can properly bring down the temperature. I should probably leave my whole house dehumidifier on at a certain percentage so that it doesn't get too humid in the house throughout the day.
Old 08-14-09, 10:13 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Or you could just set your AC to kick in earlier. They're essentially the same machine (refrigeration units). The AC might be a bit more efficient just because its a more expensive unit and the motor and stuff is all located outside, so the heat stays outside. I don't think theres a need to run the dehumidifier all day unless you're having problems.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 10:25 AM   #4
Higgy
The Gardener

Well, it wouldn't run all day. I'd just set it for a specific percentage. So when it reaches that percentage it shuts off.

And I did set it to start earlier last night. I set it for...either 3:00 or 3:30 I think. So we'll see how that goes first.