EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-08, 06:17 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Options for dimmable CFLs

Alright, I got my first utility bill this week and its time to start cracking down on the energy useage. So, I'm first looking to convert most if not all lights in the house to CFL. However, the previous owners went a bit crazy with the dimmer switches. This means either going with dimmable CFLs, which would be nice in some areas, or replacing switches. Does anyone have any good leads on dimmable CFLs? They look to cost a good deal more. Maybe it would be best to replace some switches? I really don't need a dimmable ceiling light in the bathroom...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 08:43 AM   #2
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

looks like dimmable costs twice as much. a simple light switch is a buck or 2.

i say use dimmable in places you really, really, want a dimmer. otherwise, i think you'll be cost ahead (and payoff ahead) to just buy regular cfl's, regular switches, and switch plates.

for example, i don't have any kind of dimmer in my living room. if i want the room lit up like christmas, i turn on the overhead light. if i want softer lighting, i turn on an endtable lamp or 2. btw, i replaced all bulbs in my house (and a yellow bug light outside) with cfl's.

but a dimmer in the bathroom? creepy........
Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 09:00 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

lol, I know. My only guess was that the previous owner liked to take dimly lit baths or something.

&
Old 09-28-08, 08:38 AM   #4
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Don't forget that most dimer switches use normal wall plates (check) so your cost to convert th standard switches my be lower . . ..

If you like dimmers then just buy the dimmable ones IMHO
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 08:21 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I really could care less about the dimmers in most cases and will end up replacing some of them with standard switches. However, I did hit the local store tonight and picked up a slew of dimmable CFLs. I have 3 ceiling fans which use 4 bulbs each, so thats 12 right there plus a bunch of other ones. The store only had one kind of 60w equivalent dimmable and they were in packs of four for $15. But, I also found that there were some standard 13W bulbs in a pack of four on sale for $4! Not too bad.

Now, I just have a few fixtures left that are fairly low useage to deal with besides the recessed lights in my kitchen which are par20 lights. Still trying to find a good replacement there (they are on a dimmer too). If you have any ideas or sources lemme know!

&
Old 11-01-08, 03:59 PM   #6
ac7ss
Eco-Apprentice

Replacing switches is not that expensive. With faceplate, it is just about $0.70 per switch. It is possible to do the work in about 5 minutes with a screwdriver and flashlight.

I do recommend that you turn the breaker off for the light before working on it unless you want the 2 second permanent.

Always use electrical safety precautions when working; insulated tools, somebody within shouting distance, and one hand in your pocket for example.

I do recommend replacing certain switches with turn-timers; Bathroom fan, garage light, closet lights, etc. They will pay for themselves with longer bulb life and only being on for 1 hour instead of 6.

ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dimmable cfl