EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-10, 09:40 PM   #21
skyl4rk
Helper EcoRenovator

Thank you for posting this idea. The summer heat is a major problem to people living without air conditioning, I'm not sure I could make it through another summer like this one in a house without a/c. Living without air conditioning is a major part of my off-grid shelter simplification theory, trying to reduce energy use to a bare minimum. This bed ventilation idea might make the difference to be comfortable and getting enough sleep, and sweating and tossing and turning all night, and not getting enough sleep to do my job.

I would probably build one of these for 12V out of a pc fan and some dryer duct.

skyl4rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 09:10 AM   #22
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

Depending on your bed set up I would consider something a bit different only because dryer duct tubing is not strong enough to hold up to the weight or any accidental pressure from someone sitting on it or leaning on it.

You can use cardboard, a box like a couple cereal boxes or some other rectangular box and mount the fan(s) at the bottom. For rigidity, cover it in resin or fiberglass matting. Hell the flaps on top of the box could serve as the air diverter and hold your bed sheet up off the bed as well.

Cooling your feet and lower extremities seems to do the trick to staying cool all night. Light sheets plus the a/c @ 79 degrees still is cold for me which is great. I hesitate to run the house hotter until I get another one for my daughter's room, who seems to be sensitive to the temperature as well.

Constructing one is eassy, I just didn't have the time to do it and therefore chose to support a clever inventor instead ..

Good Luck.
trikkonceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 06:42 AM   #23
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

As a follow up,

The breeze that this produces is not felt up by my upper body. The best way I can describe it is that my lower body is kept dry and cool as if I was sleeping with no sheets at all. My feet are cool, some may need socks, but I find the experience very soothing and comfortable.

It is cool enough to affect my dog, he no longer sleeps with us under the sheets, where it use to be really warm.

trikkonceptz is offline   Reply With Quote