EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-16, 02:54 PM   #21
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

No Chademo within 125 - 150 miles . Level 2 only at the Nissan dealer .

God bless
wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 11:25 PM   #22
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
To the best of my knowledge , there are no DCFC sites in our area , unless the Nissan dealer has one .

Wifey came home last night and tried to plug the Leaf in & start charging . Could not get it to work . Turned stuff off & on , no luck . I noticed the car lites were still on .

She messed with it and discovered she had not turned the car off . After that , I cycled the EVSE & plugged in the car . Got it to charge , then .

Is this normal ? For the car not to respond to the EVSE , if the car is on and in Park ?

God bless
Wyr
Yes, it happens, and is normal for the Nissan Leaf. I had that happen ONLY a couple of times in the last couple years.

Some things I really like about the car is that you can push the power on/off on the dash and it puts the car in park for you.

Another is the timer feature for charging the car. That took some getting used to. When you have the timer feature turned on, the car will charge at a set time either to the 80% or 100%. However, if you plug it in and want it charged now, you have to depress a switch on the dash to temporarily disable the timer feature and it will charge. Otherwise you will watch the dash board charging indicators cycle from right to left.

I have 64,000 miles on mine. We are spoiled in the Seattle area with DCFC stations. I can travel from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada and down to Portland, OR. and it was nice when it was free charging.
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 11:59 AM   #23
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Leaf Spy Good and Leaf Spy Bad...

Leaf Spy Good and Leaf Spy Bad...

There are two meanings to Leaf Spy, one very good, and the other, in my opinion, not so good.

First te good Leaf Spy:

Some bright guy in the UK developed a smart phone app originally called Leaf Battery App then it was renamed Leaf Spy, with a free lite version (Leaf Spy Lite) and a pay version (Leaf Spy Pro). The name changes may have continued to evolve, it's hard to keep track.

I have the free Leaf Spy Lite, and I think that it is unquestionably amazing. I have an Android phone, it is also available for iPhone. The app requires that you buy a Bluetooth enabled OBDII dongle, which are available on ebay. Apparently the app requires the full implementation of th Bluetooth protocol in the OBDII connector dongle. The first dongle I got (cheapest, at $4US) didn't even connect. Most likely this was because it did not have the full implementation of the Bluetooth protocol. I ordered another (about $11US) that did have the full protocol, and it connected with no problem to the app installed on my Android phone.

When everything is working correctly, this is what you get:

The information it yields is simply amazing.

Also, here is a youtube video of a guy who explains pretty well what is going on:

I can't imagine not having this if you have a Leaf.

Even more important, if you are considering buying a used Leaf, this will give you valuable information about your battery that you can not get any other way.

Best,

-AC_Hacker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf-spy-lite_screen640x640.jpeg
Views:	1186
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	7113  
Old 08-01-16, 11:59 AM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Leaf Spy Good and Leaf Spy Bad...

Leaf Spy Good and Leaf Spy Bad...

There are two meanings to Leaf Spy, one very good, and the other, in my opinion, not so good.

First the good Leaf Spy:

Some bright guy in the UK developed a smart phone app originally called Leaf Battery App then it was renamed Leaf Spy, with a free lite version (Leaf Spy Lite) and a pay version (Leaf Spy Pro). The name changes may have continued to evolve, it's hard to keep track.

I have the free Leaf Spy Lite, and I think that it is unquestionably amazing. I have an Android phone, it is also available for iPhone. The app requires that you buy a Bluetooth enabled OBDII dongle, which are available on ebay. Apparently the app requires the full implementation of th Bluetooth protocol in the OBDII connector dongle. The first dongle I got (cheapest, at $4US) didn't even connect. Most likely this was because it did not have the full implementation of the Bluetooth protocol. I ordered another (about $11US) that did have the full protocol, and it connected with no problem to the app installed on my Android phone.

When everything is working correctly, this is what you get:

The information it yields is simply amazing.

In the picture above, some (not all) of the information is:
  • AHr = Amp Hours
  • SOH = State Of Health
  • 72 QCs = this battery has been Quick Charged (400vdc) 72 times
  • 3122 L1/L2 = this battery has been L1/L2 charged 3122 times
  • SOC = State of Charge

Also, here is a youtube video of a guy who explains pretty well what is going on:

I can't imagine not having this if you have a Leaf.

Even more important, if you are considering buying a used Leaf, this will give you valuable information about the battery of a car you are considering, that you can not get any other way.

NOTE: As I was searching the web and getting this going, I learned that by modern technology standards, the OBDII connector is not as robust as connectors we have become accustomed to in general. Which means that the total number of plug-in-plug-out cycles it is designed for is more limited, and that OBDII should be regarded as "fragile". It is also extremely important to be working to diagnose and repair modern cars. In this light, I would recommend plugging the dongle in, get everything working, and leave it in. The dongle goes to very-low power mode, when a pre-determined idle period has passed.

Best,

-AC_Hacker
Old 08-01-16, 03:38 PM   #25
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Leaf Spy Bad ?

God bless
Wyr
Old 08-04-16, 10:34 AM   #26
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Leaf Spy Bad ?
I have the information for that post centralized. It will take a bit of time to present it. Perhaps by Fri. or Sat., it will be up.

Best,

-AC
Old 08-21-16, 11:57 AM   #27
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Be looking forward to reading your info .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old 08-21-16, 12:36 PM   #28
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I have tried plenty of inexpensive obd2 scanners, and found they are all over the place as far as features and quality. The only one I have now is the BAFX products ELM327. From using this little 20 dollar gizmo on many dozens of cars of many makes and models, I can tell you it will access anything the car will let you access without having a factory authorized (bosch, snap-on, etc.) controller attached. It is a very versatile and robust device for its low cost.

BAFX also makes a usb version if bluetooth is not for you.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 08:45 AM   #29
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Leaf Spy Bad...

I suppose that most people do not care that their information is leaking and being shared without their consent.

Other people are concerned, and would like to be able to have some control over the hemorrhaging of their personal info.

I came across some information about the Nissan Leaf that I found to be startling: Nissan Leaf cars constantly broadcast:
  • VIN numbers
  • Lattitude
  • Longatude

...and possibly much, much more through a built-in cellular system and into the Internet.

Here's an article that introduces this:

Nissan Leaf secretly leaks driver location, speed to websites | Computerworld

This article speaks of a Seattle hacker (white hat) who noticed this. There is a link in this article to that hacker's web post. Unfortunately that web post is gone. Fortunately, Archive.org remembers that web site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110902...t/~casey/?p=97

There are some videos that Archive.org did not store, but here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/duOI9wZ_SFc

https://www.youtube.com/embed/taZ7fjgPRCI

http://www.youtube.com/embed/kPcCjk-KZqM

A few more stories about this:

Your car may be invading your privacy

https://www.newshosting.com/blog/you...privacy-alert/

Your Car Is Spying on You

Nissan claims that they disabled this "feature". But that means that they can enable this "feature" any time.

Nissan Disables App After Remote Hack Demo - Infosecurity Magazine

https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/24/...security-flaw/

I spoke to Nissan techs about my concern, they said that Nissan just wants to record "driving data".

I'm not very comforted by that. I asked how can I disable this "feature" they said that it can not be turned off.

Cool, huh?

-AC_Hacker
Old 10-09-16, 03:57 PM   #30
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

I'm pretty sure you could just unplug the cellular radio which if I remember correctly is above the glove box.

I'm still loving my Leaf, I hope you like yours as well.

dremd is offline   Reply With Quote