EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-11, 07:05 PM   #1
Slavic381
Lurking Renovator

Default Load while connected to panel&controller

Newb question - just want to make sure I don't mess up.

Is it normal to run a load while the controller & panel are attached? I know nothing powerfull (like an inverter) should be connected to "load" terminals on the controller itself, but directly to the battery.

Can I run a webcam (6W max 5V), modem (5V 1A) & router (5V 0.6 to 1A) connected to the controller's 5V connection and bilge pumps & LED anchor light off the battery terminals and leave that connected like that? Also main power connection with a 12V DC fan & inverter connected to the battery terminals, but used on demand - when on board only.

Can I connect interior LED lights or navigation lights (if when upgraded to LED) to the controller's 12V connection? Do the controllers adjust the voltage to 12V (from 13.5 when alternator running or 10.5 when battery close to discharge) in order to prolong the life of the LED lighting? (The anchor light has that circuitry integrated)

Thanks!

PS I was looking to get this 10W combo for $50 (the router, webcam & modem would be on idle 90% of the time so much lower draw than the max in specs): amazon.com/Instapark®-Mono-crystalline-Solar-Charge-Controller/dp/B0038026Y2 (sorry I'm not alowed links Yet - cut&paste)

Slavic381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:26 AM   #2
kbhale
Helper EcoRenovator

Good learning link. DIY Solar Panel help - tutorials, calculators and design tools for solar power

Is it normal to run a load while the controller & panel are attached? I know nothing powerfull (like an inverter) should be connected to "load" terminals on the controller itself, but directly to the battery.

You can use energy as it's being made.

Battery acts as a buffer. it pulls the voltage to that of the battery bank 12, 24, 48 volt. The energy producer must be able to supply the needed voltage to charge.
My 12 volt system may receive / need up to 14.1 volts to charge fully / properly.

Last edited by kbhale; 09-21-11 at 12:48 AM..
kbhale is offline   Reply With Quote