EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-10, 04:51 PM   #11
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

OK Patrick, some pointers if I may.
Your foil shape is not bad, but you need to move the thickest part of the blade towards the trailing edge, and it needs to be thinner at the tip, also round the transition from the upwind side to the downwind side at the leading edge, that will reduce the turbulence there. Washout or twist is vital, the blade will turn in the wind at 10 degrees, but will never "fly"
My blades used to spin at a speed that "filled the circle" ie in theory no wind passed through the disk covered by the blade without imparting its energy to the blade.
Your blade looks better than my early efforts, so good on you.
Suggest you will be happier with a permanent magnet motor than with an off the shelf alternator.

nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 05:16 PM   #12
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Thanks Nibs. I might be able to move the thickest part back by adjusting my router, but I don't know how I could get any twist while using a table saw to cut the blade. Also, I should be able to round the lower portion of the leading edge some which would make the effective angle of attack lower also.

I read about Bergey wind turbines using "pultruded" fiberglass blades that were the same chord the whole length and had no twist. They claim that they perform well, so I thought I could get away with something like that, only made out of wood (which is cheap and I have lots of) and using power wood working tools (that I already have). Low to no cost, just some time to figure it out and make them up.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 04:56 PM   #13
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I read about Bergey wind turbines using "pultruded" fiberglass blades that were the same chord the whole length and had no twist. They claim that they perform well.
Bergey also has issues with those blades causing noise and vibration but feel that the low cost makes them perform/sell well.
Whisper used to use two blades but most of those machines shook them selves appart and went flying off their towers.
Simple Wind Turbine Blades is a rather good blade design, these machines tend to work and hold up pretty well.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 06:48 PM   #14
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I bought a 400W HAWT on Ebay. It has the plastic blades. A few photos are attached. I think the airfoil shape, at least at the tip, looks remarkably similar to the ones I made. Of course the chord is a lot less and they have twist and taper that mine don't. Both the leading and trailing edges are sharp all the way down. This particular turbine uses 6 of these blades bolted to a steel hub powering a modified GM 10SI alternator PMA. Total rotor diameter is 60".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010047.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1016   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010049.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1017   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010064.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1018   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010071.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1019  
Old 11-03-10, 06:32 AM   #15
OutbackAuzz
Lurking Renovator

Ive just read you're posts and was wondering if these wooden blades would work with the generator I'm going to make. If the weight would have any effect. The easiest way to is to give you a web address and say I have bought two of these F&P washing machine motors to build my wind gen for $40 auzz. its http://thebackshed.com , let me know what you think .click homegrown then Projects and info- F&P smartdrive. This is the actual motor that drives the washing machine, pull it apart rewire and you have a generator, up to 3oow

Last edited by OutbackAuzz; 12-01-10 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added links
OutbackAuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 09:07 AM   #16
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackAuzz View Post
Ive just read you're posts and was wondering if these wooden blades would work with the generator I'm going to make. If the weight would have any effect. The easiest way to is to give you a web address and say I have bought two of these F&P washing machine motors to build my wind gen for $40 auzz. its The Back Shed , let me know what you think .click homegrown then Fisher&Paykel Stator
I don't know if they would work or not. I'm not even sure they produce any power. I made the first one and put a 1/4" lag bolt through the center for an axle. It started to spin up when I pointed it into the wind. I mounted it on the front of my deck, but the wind hasn't been coming in from the right angle to make it do much of anything. Yesterday it was spinning slowly but the wind was at about a 75 degree angle to the blades - in effect it was furled. I think I might make up a weather-vane mount to allow it to align with the wind and then see what happens.
Old 11-03-10, 12:58 PM   #17
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

OK, I made up a quick and (very) dirty pivot for the propeller. I made a video and uploaded it to YouTube (my first one, yeah!). Comments appreciated. Here's the linky:

Last edited by Patrick; 12-04-10 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-03-10, 08:22 PM   #18
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I lolled. I would have laughed harder if you had saved some signs from the Nader or Gore campaigns.

Patrick, how do you plan to test the performance of your blades vs. other designs?
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:53 PM   #19
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
I lolled. I would have laughed harder if you had saved some signs from the Nader or Gore campaigns.

Patrick, how do you plan to test the performance of your blades vs. other designs?
I think I'll set up the Hornet HAWT I bought on Ebay, then switch out the blades for the wood and see how it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010038.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1033  
Old 11-25-10, 10:44 PM   #20
pick1e
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Haha that is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Comments appreciated.
Perfect music choice!

This is cool, I'm inspired to make my own table saw/router blades. Regarding the angles that nibs mentioned I wonder if you could cut the blades into thirds and pin them with dowels at varying angles... Or if it would just fly apart into pieces

pick1e is offline   Reply With Quote