Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-11, 03:46 PM   #1
Big Al
Big Al

Default Apologies Daox, A.C.,and Sringer

Daox, A.C. Hacker, Sringer.Apologies for going off topic-you were quite right to call me to order.

I would say however it does n't always pay to get too serious. The UK site I use most (homeworkshop.org ) has a very friendly and light -hearted approach and is often unofficially rated "the best in the UK" and the excellent Ozzie alternative energy forum ( "The Backshed " ) has it seems to me a similar approach . The Homeworkshop's main competitor run by Model Engineer and ME Workshop has a far more serious approach (I find) and members are perpetually falling out , criticising each other , practising one- up- manship.etc. Its still an excellent site however with many v.helpful, good spirited members.

I may seem to have a light-hearted approach to eco and energy , but then I remember its not long ago that several serious and real scientists (back a decade or so most of them [I]were[I] real , and understood statistics ) wrote jointly to the US President at the time about the global temperature problem Global Cooling . I am a great believer in science solving these problems , when they get really threatening. I believe that Nuclear Fusion energy is not that far away .and could be here tomorrow if there was a real problem.In my opinion it will almost certainly be here long, long before we even start to seriously deplete the oil shale reserves , which I think I'm right in saying well exceed oil reserves.
Meanwhile the peudoscientists have us erecting windmills all over Scotland's beautiful countryside , at vast cost (the subsidy comes from everyone's power bills and enables the wind vested interests to claim wind-power is cheaper) and very little effect. Personally I don't think they look too bad , but only in moderation. Not so long ago Scotland erected hordes of residential tower blocks , particularly in Glasgow, (I think Glasgow had 700, yes 700 blocks , which have resulted indirectly in decades of residential misery and are now being demolished as a ghastly mistake. Maybe there's an analogy there.

Why do I belong to an eco site ? Well , whether the "we're doomed , all doomed " merchants are right or wrong it still seems stupid to waste energy. Who knows tomorrow we may need all we can get for reasons as yet unforeseen ? But I don't lose sleep over it. Approaching a late stage in life I've found that the never-ending scare stories are almost (not sure I need an "almost" here ) always seen as laughable a decade later (when we're all on the next one ).

Now overpopulation-there is a real problem , not unconnected to Eco issues but I try to keep a bit of perspective-even overpopulation is being solved by rising infertility world wide. How about too many people as the next scare story ?

Big Al

Last edited by Big Al; 11-03-11 at 03:58 PM..
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apology. eco issues