EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-14, 03:46 PM   #51
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Standby is 6 watts.
I ran some hot water it was 68 watts I will look at it when someone is showering and see what it is.
It is an EMC motor because it changes the usage with water flow.

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-14, 10:21 PM   #52
Carlt
Lurking Renovator

Hi Pinball,

Many thanks for this excellent informative thread.

Very interested that you have briefly run this off a pure sine inverter. I need to run this full time off a larger inverter and would be turning power off to the Takagi between showers to save the energy the inverter requires just in standby mode. At least in winter.

So could you tell me if the Takagi loses whatever settings you have entered when all power is cut to it? Perhaps after 24 hours.

On another note, I'm worried about the warranty a little. Does it bother you that they told you they would honor the warranty if properly installed but the written warranty on the site says the opposite? Guess I'll be calling them myself after the new year. At least they seem more accessible then the others.
Carlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-14, 10:39 PM   #53
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We lost power for six hours and it remembered the set temp. it just came back one and went right to work. If I unplug it now and plug it back in it just works fine and it remembers the temp it was set at.
Mark
Old 12-28-14, 12:33 AM   #54
Carlt
Lurking Renovator

Unhappy

Heh Mark, very cool. Extremely doubtful that if One asked Takagi they would get an answer.

Do you (or anyone) possibly know what a "condensate trap" is? Don't think it's the same as the condensation drain discussed in this thread and mentioned elsewhere because the Rinnai RUR98i brags about having an internal one with a murky photo so doesn't seem like drain.

Also can't find out from takagi manual if the allowable input water temp can be altered as in using in solar hw systems. But, in the troubleshooting it implies such is possible because it gives "water input temp set to high" as a cause for heater not activating. So research is frustrating. Maybe someone here knows. Dread trying to ask Takagi.

Never owned a tankless before but here's something I learned today that might help others. YT--Sparky channel

Apparently when flushing with vinegar it is critical what you do before draining and it differs with different brands. For instance with Rheem must turn off power while hot water running or bypass valve won't open and vinegar won't enter HE sufficiently to clean. You believe erroneously that you have descaled it. Gives different directions for Rinnai and Noritz but no mention of Takagi and can't find mention anywhere else. If you guys know please pipe up. Don't want to buy such an expensive tool without knowing how to keep it slick. Directions elsewhere seem incomplete concerning said bypass valve and therefore dangerously wrong.

Last edited by Carlt; 12-28-14 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: attempt to erase mysterious double paragraph and emoticon
Old 12-28-14, 07:43 AM   #55
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I've put in a number of Takagi units and some have had SDHW system on them so you may be fine. Two that are not good are the older electronic ignition Bosch and Paloma units as well as the non condensing BAXI ones. My understanding is that any of the condensing units are better at handling the higher input temps.

That said, some definitely have a fixed (sort of) temp rise built in and the units will give way too hot water if the inputs are close to set point. That temp deadband is tough for any gas powered unit.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-14, 08:52 AM   #56
Carlt
Lurking Renovator

Wouldn't you think though that if the heater was good for SDHW (have never done) it would be necessary to adjust the inlet water temp and that therefore the manual would discuss how to do such? You can see here [???. 44/56] ?????? - ??????????????? - Takagi T-H3M-IN/OS [ver. 3] under problem "unit does not ignite" where it says "check if inlet water temp too high" which implies is adjustable.

Not that SDHW is anymore then a dream I'll probably never get to. Still really liking unit and would get without such capability.

Can one get better service manuals for these without being a pro I'm wondering.

Would definitely install correctly but don't have a plumber friend to back me like Pinball does to claim he installed it so little off putting that printed warranty so strict about pro installs. And would be nice to be able to get answers to things like the flushing question above directly from tech support and buy parts hopefully far down the road. As we all know tho, with many companies these days the answers you get are confident and wrong.

Sure looks like a beauty, so am considering taking a chance on this one. Info on this forum you don't see anywhere else. It's great
Old 12-28-14, 09:21 AM   #57
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Nope, input water temp is not typically adjustable by the owner. Good ones have a thermister to sense the temp and is supposed to adjust the burn rate to compensate and give a stable output temp.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-14, 01:57 PM   #58
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Now that you have had it awhile what are you finding on how much gas you use for heating water vs. the old WH?
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-14, 03:12 PM   #59
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

@Carlt
I know I can have the remote show incoming water temp and outgoing temp. But our water never comes in close to what temp we want so Mike will be better at answering anything past what I just said.

@ServiceTech
We now have one more adult living with us so I don’t have a one to one compare.
On average we are using 3 units less about $4 a month our bill it usually $13 - $20 an month. I had a tankless 80% efficient before this one it had a pilot but I did not expect very much savings.
My old one was varying in temp from steam to cold that has going completely away.

Note
Some of that savings would be used up with electric cost. My old water heater did not have a power vent motor so it used no power at all. The new unit uses some power all the time and more when you use it.
I have enough solar installed to cover it so it does not matter to me.

We have not used gas heat since last year. So my electric and gas bill are under $30 a month. (good old solar power)

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-28-14 at 03:25 PM..
Old 12-28-14, 03:57 PM   #60
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

$30/mo? Awesome. The meter connection charges are more than that for us.

Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote