Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-13, 11:36 AM   #1
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Default Refrigeration Oil for Mini Splits

This question is for any one that knows , but especially for Xringer . I think I read that you bought some refrigeration oil for your Sanyo , before you brazed / silver soldered the pin hole leak ?

When I installed my mini split , I dumbed up and moved the high pressure line and caused a leak . While insulating the last part of both copper lines & service valves with black sticky " cork tape " .

I lost the R410a & some oil . The " factory tech " I spoke to on the phone said not to worry about it , they are charged with extra oil , in case a long line set is used .

He said to vacuum it down and re-charge it by weight . Which is what I did . All seems to be well . But I still have a nagging concern .

If something should happen ( I dumb up again ? ) and I should loose oil again ?

I have done some research & my unit ( with a Toshiba non-inverter 12,000 BTU compressor ) uses POE oil . But Johnstone supply ecatalog has several kinds / viscosity of POE oil for HVAC .

I do not know what kinds / viscosity of POE oil is used in mini splits .

I have used 100 " weight / viscosity " POE oil , from O'Reilly Auto Parts , for a R12 -> R134a conversion . But , that is my only knowledge / experience with POE oil .

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote