EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-21, 11:56 PM   #1
Bobinater33
Lurking Renovator

Default GMCC Inverter Rotary Compressors

Greetings,

Long time lurker and decided to register finally. Awesome forum. Finally a place for like minded individuals. The folks on HVAC talk and the various HVAC Facebook groups are a bunch of trade preservationist who will deliberately block outsiders from conducting any sort of experimentation. God forbid you find out how much a run cap replacement should really cost. Anyways..

So before I go applying power to my current WSHP water heater build, I’d like to know what to expect if I apply 220v single phase power to a mr. cool 18k btu compressor. Something tells me I won’t get what I’m looking for when the inkbird tells the contactor it needs heat and it closes those contacts. �� . Having 2 lbs of r290 sitting it might even make things interesting if it’s single phases and becomes rapidly hot.

It’s tough getting any information on them as they only furnish this documentation to their registered “partners” aka manufacturers…It’s a GMCC rotary compressor and the only information it gives is a model number and “160v at 180hz” and “Rated for flammable refrigerant”. My guess is that it’s the company’s cryptic way of indicating the ratio to which the inverter bored should drive the comp.

I have a smaller single phase comp which for sure runs on 110v but it’s capacity is an issue…. I have several of these GMCC rotary comps that I’d really like to put to use.

Bobinater33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-21, 06:51 AM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Welcome to the forums! Been busy with life this holiday season. I saw your other post, sounds like it will run off a VFD just fine.

For more information, post up the donor unit model number and the compressor model number. Having those two usually is enough to figure out exactly what you have to work with.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-21, 12:50 AM   #3
Bobinater33
Lurking Renovator

Well appearently I did something wrong and fried the unit, all it would do is make a high frequency noise. It kept tripping on inverter over current before it finally went bang. I looked closer and the IPM chip itself exploded. Nice little 250 dollar mistake.

This is a brand new compressor too. It’s a 24k btu twin rotary 380v BLDC from what little info I could find on it. Model number: da250s2c-30mt. It came packaged under vacuum with the rubber plugs in the ports.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobinater33 For This Useful Post:
Lawrence (02-11-22)
Old 02-11-22, 10:23 AM   #4
Lawrence
Lurking Renovator

Bob, I have picked up a similar unit with a GMCC compressor. It's marked 180V at 180Hz. Also looking to run it on VFD if possible. Which VFD did you try and why do you think it ended badly?

Also- I found this website that breaks down the GMCC compressor model numbers - it show the power usage and a COP.

www \dot\ hvacrcompressor.com/gmcc-rotary-compressor

I've been reading every thread I can on here about heat pumps. It seems that these inverter units are a tough nut to crack for the home hacker.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 09:14 PM   #5
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Perhaps look at the Openinverter project? They specialize in reverse engineering BLDC motors out of EVs, it should be pretty easy to adapt to BLDC compressor motors.
Old 02-11-22, 10:30 PM   #6
Bobinater33
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Perhaps look at the Openinverter project? They specialize in reverse engineering BLDC motors out of EVs, it should be pretty easy to adapt to BLDC compressor motors.
I’m going to loook into that. Very interesting .

I went ahead and just bought me a 208/230v 60hz 1 phase LG Scroll for 240 bucks on surplus city liquidators