EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-08, 06:14 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Composting!

Share with us your composting setups and any tips or tricks you have!

I'll be putting mine together next year I think in spring and ideas are welcome. I was thinking a hot composter probably in a barrel style would be better to get usable compost faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 02:40 PM   #2
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

I have a plastic compost bin that I bought. It's full but not doing much. I almost never turn it and I need to add moisture too it. I looked into a compost tumbler but they were too expensive. Our city now gives away compost bins for free. They take old plastic garbage cans cut off the bottoms and add holes.
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 05:33 PM   #3
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

My set-up is a 4-pallet bin with a hinged mesh top. The front slides out and then I fork out the compost to turn it or use it. I would go with something cheap, simple and at least 1 cubic yard of volume. Here is my setup - Composting in the High Desert | EcoDaddyo.com.

The secret to fast composting is to turn it often and keep a good balance of greens and browns (nitrogen and carbon-heavy stuff). There's not much to it than that unless you're a microbiologist or greatly interested in soil critters.

Tim

Last edited by TimJFowler; 12-01-10 at 01:27 PM..
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:41 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

That looks like a nice setup Tim. How long does it take to churn out good compost?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:01 AM   #5
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I pull out 2-3 wheelbarrow loads of compost about twice a year. I'm pretty lazy about turning my compost and that usually happens about 4 times a year. So, I could have more compost if I put a little more effort into it.

Unfortunately, we had wasps build a nest in the compost this summer and I haven't turned it in a while! I'm waiting for the wasps to go dormant this winter and then I will forcibly evict them. After I get rid of the wasps I'll have to write up the whole saga.

Tim

Old 12-05-08, 12:01 PM   #6
SVOboy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJFowler View Post
I pull out 2-3 wheelbarrow loads of compost about twice a year. I'm pretty lazy about turning my compost and that usually happens about 4 times a year. So, I could have more compost if I put a little more effort into it.

Unfortunately, we had wasps build a nest in the compost this summer and I haven't turned it in a while! I'm waiting for the wasps to go dormant this winter and then I will forcibly evict them. After I get rid of the wasps I'll have to write up the whole saga.

Tim
Can't trust those wasps!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:38 AM   #7
Higgy
The Gardener

Nice! I like it.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 03:19 PM   #8
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

We have foreclosed on the wasps (insects, not white anglo-saxon protestants)! It was a pain in the rear for months, but the wasp nest is gone.

Here's the saga - Foreclosing on the Wasps | EcoDaddyo.com

"Social" insects? My @$$!

Tim

Last edited by TimJFowler; 12-01-10 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: update link
Old 03-15-09, 09:43 AM   #9
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I would like to do a 4 pallet system as well, our current pile is a piece of wire fence made in to a ring to keep the pile more pile like and it's over flowing already after only 5 months, I would like something that will keep it hotter and be easier to work with but a cube, or maybe even two cubes seem like a good plan for now.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 06:59 PM   #10
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJFowler View Post
We have foreclosed on the wasps (insects, not white anglo-saxon protestants)! It was a pain in the rear for months, but the wasp nest is gone.

Here's the saga - Foreclosing on the Wasps | EcoDaddyo.com

"Social" insects? My @$$!

Tim
This post is old but it can be a real problem any time.

Funny battle. I had the same problem. I just took 3/4" pex tube and drilled some 1/4" holes near the bottom. I connected this tube to HWT using garden hose. I pushed this tube inside the pile. So wasps were invited to local sauna. The next day I carefully opened the nest. All invited guests were cooked .

I won 1:0. No bites no mess no chemicals.....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compost