EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-20, 08:57 PM   #1
TechShop
FNG

Default Slab on grade, mins the slab...

I happened upon this is pretty interesting slab-less "slab on grade" video today (link below).

I'm intrigued, and if I build another home on my land, I'll probably consider this method. The only thing that comes to mind is, what are the moisture control implications of building this way.

https://youtu.be/NbC-EfQ_u3E

TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-20, 09:33 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Very interesting idea. The elimination of such large use of concrete is definitely a cool idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 04:01 PM   #3
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The foam will bridge any minor defects in the grade, the down sides that I can see, infloor heating would be a bit tricky if you wanted it. (We love our warm floor), and if you are bermed at all (we are) you would lose the horizontal slab holding the walls against the soil loading at the foot of the walls.
The other problem you might have would be with building inspectors going cross eyed,especially on the sani side of things.
I would only do it on very well drained soils in a relatively dry region.
You would also need to deal with termite control.

People criticize concrete as being "not green" in our house we used concrete extensively including for interior walls, We bought bags of cement, found a sand pit near by and brought our sand in by pickup truck, site mixed all the cement, using strong mixes with fiber, and water reducers and would do the same if we had to start over.
if you think of concrete as lasting for hundreds of years it suddenly moves way up the green scale.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nibs For This Useful Post:
TechShop (01-28-21)
Old 01-28-21, 06:32 PM   #4
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
The foam will bridge any minor defects in the grade, the down sides that I can see, infloor heating would be a bit tricky if you wanted it. (We love our warm floor), and if you are bermed at all (we are) you would lose the horizontal slab holding the walls against the soil loading at the foot of the walls.
The other problem you might have would be with building inspectors going cross eyed,especially on the sani side of things.
I would only do it on very well drained soils in a relatively dry region.
You would also need to deal with termite control.

People criticize concrete as being "not green" in our house we used concrete extensively including for interior walls, We bought bags of cement, found a sand pit near by and brought our sand in by pickup truck, site mixed all the cement, using strong mixes with fiber, and water reducers and would do the same if we had to start over.
if you think of concrete as lasting for hundreds of years it suddenly moves way up the green scale.
I pretty much agree with all of the above.
As a long term structure, it's hard to beat reinforced concrete.

I think in-floor heating wouldn't be too terrible if one of those grid-work style systems were to be used.

I have a 62x40 slab on grade 6" thick and I certainly appreciate my in-floor heat and the "flywheel" effect that the huge mass of concrete offers.

The difference in opening a garage door with a heated slab vs an unheated slab is amazing.

In a power outage at the coldest winter temps, I can get by without running my heat pump for almost 24 hours without feeling too cold.

All that said, this slabless concept is intriguing to me and I like to keep stuff like that on my radar.

TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote