EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Energy Storage
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-19, 07:39 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Gravitricity - weight/gravity power storage

I just came across this youtube video and decided to share it. Its an interesting concept. The weight would have to be immense for this to work. But, it is an interesting idea and if it could be done economically sounds like it could be a good idea. I especially like the idea of converting old mining shafts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 04:53 PM   #2
Bicycle Bob
Suncatcher

I can never understand why they would suggest size limits. There's the household gravity light using a sandbag already. It sounds very similar to pumped hydro, just for different geography, etc. You could put one under downtown Regina very cheaply. You could also just use a narrow shaft and a cavity at the bottom, pumping water. One hybrid I like would use a kite to haul a tank car up an incline to replenish a reservoir. It could also work on a vertical rig. If the wind drops, they spill a bit and haul the rest.

Last edited by Bicycle Bob; 08-07-19 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Aha addition.
Bicycle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 04:51 AM   #3
Zwerius
Helper EcoRenovator

Here's another one: https://vimeo.com/335818817?width=800&height=480
Zwerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 08:06 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I wonder how DIY-able this idea is. For example, how deep and how much weight would it take to store about 10kwh (similar to a power wall)?

&
Old 08-08-19, 08:11 AM   #5
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I have read of electrical utilities using stored hydro ti supplement production at peak load .

I get the idea this is not too common ?

Wyr
God bless
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 01:24 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

So I ran the calculations. The results are not too encouraging.

250 lb weight needs 10620 feet of travel to store 1 kwh.
1000 lb weight needs 2655 feet of travel to store 1 kwh.
5000 lb weight needs 531 feet of travel to store 1 kwh.
10000 lb weight needs 265 feet of travel to store 1 kwh.

Yes, those numbers are for ONE kwh.

&

Last edited by Daox; 08-08-19 at 01:55 PM..
Old 08-08-19, 02:07 PM   #7
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

My understanding is the hydro / water storage system is ideally a water tank / pond / reservoir / lake on a mountain / high place .

A combination pump / generator at a much lower elevation , with a big pipe between .

Water is pumped to the higher elevation and stored , using off peak power . On peak , the water flows down to the lower elevation , spinning a turbine which spins a generator . Producing power to help with on peak demand .

Kind of like charging & discharging a battery .

Wyr
God bless
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 02:38 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, pumped hydro is a much better solution I think too. However, it's very location specific. If you had to create pumped hydro at many different locations I would imagine you would run into similar issues.

&
Old 08-09-19, 08:07 PM   #9
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Pumped hydro is pretty much the only feasible method at the moment. The mine shaft thing sounds good but very few mine shafts are straight down of any length and they are generally small and they fill with water.

The energy vault thing... Not feasible at all. In fact there is a good video explaining why it's so bad.

If using a weight worked it would already be used.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 08:36 PM   #10
mincus
Helper EcoRenovator

We have a pumped hydro facility here in MO. They had a catastrophic failure in 2005 which sent a billion gallons of water flowing downstream, right through a popular campground and the very popular Johnson Shut-ins. Luckily it was at 5:00am in December so no one died. Ironically, someone did die in the construction of the replacement a few years later. Overall a very interesting story, and one I teach my freshmen about.

I think it's quite interesting how important Ameren knew this plant was. Important enough to spend quite a bit of money and build one in the same place as the disaster a few years before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_S..._Power_Station

mincus is offline   Reply With Quote