EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-06-11, 12:20 PM   #11
sammy green
Lurking Renovator

The other day, my friend told me about San Jose roofing contractors that install solar panels on the roof of residential buildings. Our family has been making an extra effort lately to reduce our energy usage. We are open to all different methods of conservations, so I wanted to check this out. Daox, I have also heard that there is not a good ROA for solar panels... To us, ROA is not the most important factor in this decision, but we also do not want to spend a ton of money and see absolutely nothing in return. Are solar panels just a poor choice for residential purposes? Can anyone recommend other small-scale energy saving tips?

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 10-14-11 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: Edited out links
sammy green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 05:47 PM   #12
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Being an old DIYer and semi-nerd, I can tell you from experience that you should look at your low hanging fruit first.
All the easy stuff you can do, like using CFL lighting, attic insulation etc. should be done first.
This summer, I installed a couple of Solar Screens and was amazed at their performance.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...n-project.html

One of our big AC power hogs was always the old in-the-wall AC system.
It died one warm spring day when my wife ran it with the snow cover on..
The replacement AC used a little less power, but was still hoggish.

We have found that our Sanyo Mini-split heatpump-AC can cool the whole
house, for a LOT less kWhs..
If you need a new AC next summer, or might need an AC that can also
provide cheap heat, check out inverter mini-split (Ductless) systems.
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 06:44 PM   #13
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

One of the simplest and easiest things you can do is go from receptacle to receptacle and see what's plugged in. Think about the devices and how they work. "Instant-on" televisions, VCR's, DVD's, Cable boxes, cell phone/laptop chargers, doorbells, microwave ovens,etc., etc., all consume power when we are not "using" them. There are ways, such as power bars, to disconnect these devices completely when not in use, the trade-off is that you may have to let them warm up when you turn them on. Some wiring in new construction features wall receptacles controlled by wall switches, just for that reason. You may also find forgotten chargers for long ago retired cell phones, still plugged in!
Another opportunity to save energy is simple planning, not using the oven while the A/C is on, multi-tasking the oven when it is being used, following a "1 light- 1 person" rule. I suspect that you are probably doing most of these things, but sometimes it's worth a fresh look.

Last edited by herlichka; 09-06-11 at 06:50 PM..
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 07:40 AM   #14
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I was thinking a little more last night about the "value" or "return on investment" associated with solar electricity. Here in Ontario, Canada, the provincial government has instituted a pretty generous "Micro-FIT (feed in tarriff)" programme, as part of their renewable energy, green economy initiative. Essentially it means that the utility must pay you for your renewably generated electricity, the most lucrative being roof mounted solar, at 80.2 cents per Kw/h. There are lesser amounts paid for ground mounted solar arrays, and even less for wind generated power. They are trying to encourage roof mounted solar because it is easier to install in denser, urban areas, and the idea is to produce power close to the point of use, taking pressure off the grid. The power you produce is metered out to the utility separate from the power metered in to your home, so it is not a "net" metering situation. You actually get paid 80.2 cents per Kw/h, and turn around and buy some of it back at market rate, somewhere around 12 cents per Kw/h! The government is trying to stimulate the development of a manufacturing installation and service industry, as well as trying to take some urgency off of rebuilding the grid. ROI, as reported in just about any literature, is about 10% per annum, a $100,000 system will produce something around $10,000 per year in sales.
I have two small solar arrays, one 20w system beside our backyard deck, I use it to drive a small 12vdc bilge pump that pumps water through a small solar collector for my grandkids 12' pool, and a small 45w array that simply gives me 12vdc at my workbench, just for experiments/fun. Niether of these systems produce saleable electricity, but they still have an intrinsic value; they demonstrate a grassroots shift to renewable energy. When people see the panels on the roof they slowly, subconsciously begin to accept them. I hope that when my grandkids grow up, and if they encounter a situation about solar electricity, they can say "yeah, my grandad had solar panels, they kept our pool warm!" and they will be able to embrace and support the project! So, even though they are purely an expense, they are , to me, very valuable!
Old 09-07-11, 11:37 AM   #15
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

It looks like Herlichka has your solution. Take your experimental small PV system. Hook it to a small 12v pump that moves water through some black tubing set in a sunny area. And voila, warm water. What a great project.
For the bike I'd probably use the power generated to run a fan and keep myself cool. I wonder what kind of bike generators you can get now...
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 03:55 PM   #16
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by herlichka View Post
I was thinking a little more last night about the "value" or "return on investment" associated with solar electricity. Here in Ontario, Canada, the provincial government has instituted a pretty generous "Micro-FIT (feed in tarriff)" programme, as part of their renewable energy, green economy initiative. Essentially it means that the utility must pay you for your renewably generated electricity, the most lucrative being roof mounted solar, at 80.2 cents per Kw/h. There are lesser amounts paid for ground mounted solar arrays, and even less for wind generated power. They are trying to encourage roof mounted solar because it is easier to install in denser, urban areas, and the idea is to produce power close to the point of use, taking pressure off the grid. The power you produce is metered out to the utility separate from the power metered in to your home, so it is not a "net" metering situation. You actually get paid 80.2 cents per Kw/h, and turn around and buy some of it back at market rate, somewhere around 12 cents per Kw/h! The government is trying to stimulate the development of a manufacturing installation and service industry, as well as trying to take some urgency off of rebuilding the grid. ROI, as reported in just about any literature, is about 10% per annum, a $100,000 system will produce something around $10,000 per year in sales.
So, you can sell it for 80.2 cents per kWh and your neighbors (and you) buy it for a mere 12 cents??

The power company is being reimbursed by Canadian tax payers
68.2 cents per KWH produced by roof top PV??

You would be a fool use any of that PV power, with that kind of selling price.
Especially since you can buy it back dirt cheap.

Of course, the problem with this kind of deal, someday the money supply will dry up.
And the politicians who set up this deal with have retired (to Bermuda).
And new guys with cold hard eyes will tell you the new rates..
Old 09-09-11, 04:28 PM   #17
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

As I said, it is a pretty generous deal, for more detailed information go to "microfit.powerauthority.on.ca".
There is a lot of interesting reading on-line about this programme. The scenario that the government is trying to develop has many elements;
-Power is produced close to point of use, summer peak production coincides with peak demand such as air conditioning, taking some demand off the grid. It is also hoped that the solar power produced will eventually displace the need for some of the existing coal fueled generating plants, allowing them to be decommisioned.
-Increased demand for equipment will stimulate the manufacturing, installation and service industries. It is hoped that as products are manufactured in Ontario, and as volumes go up, that prices will go down.
-Solar power generation is "clean" power, no emissions.
I am a big fan of the programme, although, I will admit that I think that the government has taken a pretty brave step with it. I understand the reasoning behind it, and I believe it has huge potential (pardon the pun), and so far it looks good. PV arrays are popping up all over the place, and I hear that the utilites, Hydro One, Powerstream, Toronto Hydro,and so on, are backlogged in getting them on-line. The programme has been in place for a couple of years now, and I expect that soon we may start hearing some statstics (Ontario is in an Election campaign right now).
In Canada, at least in Ontario, the utility companies are owned by the taxpayers, one way or another. I think that the premise is that utility will pay you to produce power instead of investing it's money in building it's own large generating plants. One way or another it has to meet the increasing demand.
Old 09-09-11, 05:20 PM   #18
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Even if the taxpayers own the power companies,
I suspect the budget is still going to behurting if too many people get PV installed.

That 80.2 cents rate is just too high to keep up with.
My advise is to jump on that deal right now,while the money is still flowing.
And, if they cut it by 50% for a few years, you'll still make out like a bandit.

But, I would think carefully about what might happen when the great deal goes away.
If they change it to 12 cents or the current going rate in your area.
That would be break-even for power you had to buy, and you would
still save some money. But not big bucks.

I'm trying to plan ahead, with my fixed income. Because, it's mostly a social security check.
If I live too long, the government might not want to give me back all the money that I donated to the system.
No one really knows if SS will still be here in 2014.. The USA has a lot of problems these days.
After 2012, we'll know if we should move to area where we can grow vegetables and raise chickens.
Old 09-26-11, 07:18 AM   #19
Ireene
Lurking Renovator

Default The way above heaven...

The concept of solar energy can be illuminated in one single line...!
it means all the power we ever needed to run our appliances, machines, industries....is right above our head....

we have just started, its still a long way ahead...!
Ireene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:10 AM   #20
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I looked at ROI for a while, up until the first time my small grid-tie system spun the electric meter backwards. Who needs ROI when solar power brings such joy.

FWIW, in our area, the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) has a program that I am trying to get signed on to. They do a ten-year contract at retail + 12 cents per KwH. As I await permission, I had a mid-sized grid tie system designed by the folks at mrsolar(dot)com. Even considering the money invested in the small system I already have, I expect that this total system will have a payback in the eight year range. God willing, I'll live longer than that and the power generated after that will escentially be free. With a total of nearly 10 Kw of solar modules, I should produce nearly 40 KwH per day in my area. My home use is down to 15 - 25 KwH daily depending on weather, and an EV will need less than the difference.

I did ask them to specify all American made products and the complete system works out to less than $2.90 per rated watt. I'm also tired of all my money being exported to China. My long-term plan {retirement is 12 years out} is PV + EV. Energy cost will be as controlled as I can envision is possible.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote