EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-11, 07:54 PM   #11
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

The edible gourds are another alternative "summer squash" for those regions where the squash borer runs rampant. And any Cucurbita moschata cultivar, some of which, like Tromboncino, have been bred for production of immature (summer) squash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 10:39 AM   #12
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Have you eaten Luffa? I hear it's edible when young.

Moschatas are better but not a perfect cure. This month I lost one Long Island Cheese (moschata) to a vine borer and another I was able to save by surgically removing the worm. They also don't protect against squash bugs.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 04:07 PM   #13
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

I've tried eating luffa, but didn't like the flavor. I grow the moschata cultivar Seminole and a self-seeding cross of Seminole with Thai Large (which I discontinued growing after one year since some were killed by borers) which popped up in the compost pile and has self-seeded around ever since. I've never found any borers on them. Although I can find a few squash bugs on them, they don't get bad enough to bother the plant and have nowhere near the squash bug populations that show up on the typical summer squash cultivars. Since Seminole is a wild/feral cultivar from Florida, it has had to survive the pest pressures found in southern Florida without any help from man. Down there, it will grow for years and eventually cover acres of land. Around here it will run 50 feet in a growing season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by basjoos; 07-19-11 at 04:16 PM..
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 08:56 AM   #14
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I've heard great things about Seminole from you and many others. I hear it's very productive as well as hardy. That's what I'm planting next year.
Old 07-27-11, 12:45 AM   #15
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

i haven't tried loofah.

any idea how the seminole does in the desert? i have table queen acorn that are partially shaded and these seem to require very little water. i would love to find a summer-ish variety that tolerates lower watering.

the squash bugs are so incredibly bad this year. i am getting very frustrated with the DAILY maintenance that seems to not help at all. the chickens and ducks help but they are still too much to keep up with. i have already disposed of three plants that were VERY prolific producers. we still have plenty of growing time left here so i have started new squash plants in the front yard. hoping these don't get the bugs. i am thinking i should have picked different varieties though.

i hate squash bugs !
tomboy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 12:48 AM   #16
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
another I was able to save by surgically removing the worm.
nice work dr. melanesian
Old 07-27-11, 12:52 AM   #17
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
This is my first year trying the Armenian cucumbers.
do you know what variety you have? we have two kinds, one is flower shaped and light green. the other is darker green, smoother cylindrical shape with somewhat annoying fuzz and an even darker green stripe. it's tastier and crisper though--more like a cuke than the lighter ones. it does not produce quite as much as the other but i can still get several a day.
Old 07-28-11, 08:25 AM   #18
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I have the light green non-fuzzy kind. They're lobed with lengthwise grooves.

I have my cukes growing in two separate plots, and that turned out to be a good idea. One plot was completely overrun with aphids. The other plot still has none. There were hundreds per leaf! I didn't notice it for a few days, and when I did the cavalry was already arriving. I now have 2-3 ladybugs on each leaf, feasting on the aphids. Gotta love nature!
Old 07-28-11, 09:33 AM   #19
Higgy
The Gardener

Did you put the ladybugs there yourself or did they just find them and start chomping down?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 09:56 AM   #20
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

They came by themselves. There were more this spring than I've seen before, but this is almost ridiculous! When I discovered the aphids there were a good number of immature ladybugs already, so I guess the parents found the aphids before I did.

It's educational to know what the juveniles look like. They're completely different.
ladybug life stages - Google Search