Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-15, 08:33 AM   #1
Brandon727
Lurking Renovator

Default Help me get the most out of heatpump water heater

long time lurker first time poster. i will be adding a heatpump water heater within the next few months. i'm looking to maximize the energy savings so i'm looking for tips on location, if i need to add intake or exhaust fans, heattraps, etc,

I just bought my house last year, first thing i did was install led bulbs(7w and 9w) in every fixture and rewired 2 florescent tubes to led(13w and 18w), i then installed a 1.5gpm and 1.75gpm shower head in out two showers, 1.0gpm aerators in the 2 bathroom vanitys and a 1.8gpm(vs the 2.2gpm) kitchen faucet. replaced 2 old crank out windows that wouldn't shut(1" gap). plugged various holes in the roof, and added a programmable t-stat, the house came with a water heater timer I use. My plans this year are to replace the remaining 5 crank out windows, add insulation, and switch to a heat pump hot water heater.

Home specs
Avg useage over the first 10months 827kwh(27khw daily)
1250sq ft a/c space.
Location Coast of central Florida so very humid and hot most of the year.
2 people with plans to add a third(kid). so usage will only go up.

Living in coastal Florida i think i would benefit greatly by installing a hybrid water heater as i should be able to run it 300+days a year in heatpump only mode.

I will be installing it in my garage 11"x24"x8"(2100cuft) but the attic is open into the garage so i have plenty of space to draw from.

i have freedom to mount it where i need to so what is a better choice close to the interior wall or the exterior wall, would I benefit from any intake or exhaust fans/vents and would setting up heat traps be helpful, any other tips are appreciated.

Brandon727 is offline   Reply With Quote