EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-29-13, 08:38 PM   #141
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Doax, google "Alberta Custom Tee". It is a much less expensive manifold that you can customize for 2-24 loops, 1" header and 1/2" outputs (we call them spigots). Add a mini ball valve to each spigot and you have a less expensive balancing manifold.

I really would suggest going with 1/2" barrier tubing. There are more fittings available in more places. Also, with 3/8" you will want to limit yourself to 200' lengths MAX. Don't worry about making a 4" bend. It can be 6-8" then come in to make 4" runs.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 09:23 AM   #142
Daox
Administrator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would be limited to 200' max if I were using a single loop, but since I will be running parallel loops that will drop the pressure head substantially.

At least for this room, the 3/8" tubing allows me to get 1/4" of foam board under the tubing to stop some thermal bridging. If I go up to 1/2", there won't be enough room to get any insulation under there. However, I will be putting fiberglass in the joist cavity under the floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 09:29 AM   #143
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

yes, 200' is a single loop length. any number in parallel only increases the flow rate needed, not the head loss so you are good.

i still think that the 1/2" tubing and no 1/4" foam is better since you will be insulating between the joists anyway. The wood may be just as good an insulator as the foam, given the thickness.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 11:23 AM   #144
Daox
Administrator

Here are some updated pics. The drywall lift is really a life saver. There is no way I could have done this alone without it. With it, its a breeze.

I can't wait to get some nice LEDs in there!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130926_192644.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	3437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130926_224031.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	3438  

&
Old 10-01-13, 12:20 PM   #145
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

I came across this today...

https://www.midwestrenew.org/downloa...egenthaler.pdf

It's a Siegenthaler presentation regarding hydronic heating and it addresses solar hydronic, too.

Also this...

http://www.hydronicpros.com/_dynamo/...d.php?docid=12

Probably a little late in the game, but it's something to think about.

BTW, did you ever do any kind of heat loss analysis on your remodel?

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-01-13 at 12:24 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 01:01 PM   #146
Daox
Administrator

Very interesting pdfs. Thank you for sharing.

I've always wondered... but this quote was some awesome info. He is talking about wall radiators.

Quote:
Adding low wattage fans to a low water content panel can boost heat output 50% during normal comfort mode, and over 200% during recovery from setback conditions
Another interesting thing was his picture of the aluminum heat spreaders says to only staple one side of the heat spreader, not both. This is to allow for expansion with the heat cycling.

I've also never heard of the Xylem (B&G) ECOCIRC pump. Its similar to the Grundfos Alpha and Wilo ECORFC, with variable speed and pressure differential features. Its always nice to have another option.

I do not have a heat loss analysis on the renovated wall.

&
Old 10-16-13, 11:02 AM   #147
Daox
Administrator

The work has been progressing on the office. It has been taped and mudded and sanded... fun stuff. I still have to frame out the little in wall entertainment cabinet and put drywall over that. Above that I also have to blend the drywall into some plaster which should be interesting.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131015_215539.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	3491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131015_215545.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	3492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131015_215553.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	3493  

&
Old 10-16-13, 12:49 PM   #148
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The work has been progressing on the office...
Nice progress!

I really like the flared window openings.

I did that on some of my skylights (once I learned that it could be done).

It really lets in a lot more light, at no extra heat-loss penalty... good thinking.

My back room remodel is progressing, I'm in the wiring stage now...

It is so curious... in 1892, there was no concept of insulation or infiltration. So some of the structural decisions that were made just take my breath away.

I have learned so much from the discussions and reported and photographed works of the regulars here. I just don't know how I ever got by before.

I have a friend who is just now doing a total tear-out and remodel of his house. I have told him all about the approaches and techniques we are using here at ER... Sadly, he has decided to go with minimal insulation & sealing and with an 80% gas furnace, because "it is cheaper". I guess it's the "...lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink" kind of thing.

You're doing it right, keep up the good work.

Best,

-AC
Old 10-16-13, 06:24 PM   #149
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I've always wondered, how do you remove the window bladders without letting all the gas out of the panes?
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 07:33 AM   #150
Daox
Administrator

The instructions say to crimp the capillary tube twice, then cut it and put some sealant over the tip. Then you tuck it under the rubber seal around the window. I really need to do that... haha.

&

Last edited by Daox; 10-29-13 at 09:22 AM..

Tags
bamboo, diy, flooring, hydronic, remodel, superinsulate