EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-18, 10:59 PM   #351
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Rig up a couple of trailer light plugs. Easy, not expensive and super durable.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-02-18)
Old 08-01-18, 11:43 PM   #352
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

why not install a smart bank charger on the mower? then you have one weatherproof charger that does each battery individually. They're meant for permanent install.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 08:37 AM   #353
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
why not install a smart bank charger on the mower?
That would also be additional cost instead of using what a person already has. It also skips the fun/interesting creative problem solving of designing a custom multi-prong charging connector!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-02-18)
Old 10-07-19, 03:33 PM   #354
Daox
Administrator

It has been 10 years now that my battery electric lawn mower has been used to cut my lawn, haul brush, and do other miscellaneous tasks. Woohoo!

Lately, I've been contemplating going over the mower and doing some updates. The biggest one I've been contemplating lately is battery related. Yes, I am thinking about upgrading to lithium ion batteries. The prices have come down plenty now and for not much more than the price of lead, I can get gently used lithium ion. This also means that I can increase the battery capacity and run time. The lead acid does the job, but a little more would be a nice benefit. Also, it would be even easier on the batteries to have more capacity.

The cells I'm currently thinking of getting are theses:

These are a used 10.95V 26.5AH 3S5P lithium ion battery. 4 of these in series would give me a 44V nominal battery. Pretty close to the 48V nominal from the lead acid pack. But, I was also thinking I'd put 4 in parallel as well. This would give me a pack capacity of 4.6 kWh vs the current 3.8 kWh. If you take into account the usable capacity boost of going from 50% to 80% with lithium you're now looking at a usable capacity increase of nearly 200%!

So, what is the cost of this battery? I'm looking at $480 plus shipping. The lead acid pack costs $320. Not much more to go for lithium plus 20% pack capacity (not to mention usable capacity of going from 50% DOD to 80%).

I highly recommend any of you guys messing around with batteries check out the place I am looking at. Its called Battery Hookup. They buy used cells, capacity test them, and then resell them for a fraction of retail prices. They don't have a gigantic selection, but their prices are really great.

Note: These are affiliate links. I haven't used Battery Hookup yet, but the feedback I've seen online is pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bpbattery.jpg
Views:	1524
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	8742  

&

Last edited by Daox; 10-08-19 at 11:55 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 04:17 PM   #355
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

That would be a pretty nice upgrade.
10 years is a great run with it.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 02:24 PM   #356
Daox
Administrator

Had a bit of a mishap with the mower. One of the blade mounts on the mowing deck snapped at the transition of the shaft to the mounting plate. I should be able to weld it back together. It appears this has been a process that has been going on for some time as there is rust in that broken metal area.

So, I had to take apart the entire mowing deck to do this. Found out that the bottom bearing on the spindle is completely shot. The new bearing is on they way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower1.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	8988   Click image for larger version

Name:	mower2.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	8989  

&
Old 06-15-20, 08:35 PM   #357
oil pan 4
Land owner

Make sure the new one has actual grease and not corrosion preventative compound.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 11:26 AM   #358
Daox
Administrator

In the bearing? It was a sealed bearing.

&
Old 06-16-20, 08:29 PM   #359
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I would suggest you go with LiFePO4 batteries. They don't have a bad temper. I've had my batteries for several months now and they are excellent. I want to get a bit more time on the batteries before a story.
3.2Volts/200Amp/64 batteries for my new off grid house.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:37 PM   #360
oil pan 4
Land owner

Sealed is a relative term. I pry them open and add 2 drops of gear oil and a smear of grease just about every year.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor