EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-08, 07:43 AM   #1
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Default groar's computers thread

I'm using computers since the age of... too young. Santa Claus brought me a Sinclair ZX81 in 1983. No color, no graphic, no sound, no key on the keyboard, only 1KB of RAM, a tape reader/recorder to load and save programs and I had to connect it to the TV in the leaving room. I quickly developed mathematical programs to verify my results to the mathematical homeworks. My friends were thinking that like in 2001: A Space Odyssey (film) I just had to talk to the computer to get my math results...

Today I have a firewall and 2 notebooks connected 24/7. These systems are PC under Gentoo Linux. My wife has her desktop, a PC under Windows. Regularly we plug our professional notebooks.

First story : why I changed my old desktop with a newer notebook.

One of my two notebooks, the one on which I'm writing this message, is in replacement of my desktop. It was a Pentium IV with 1GB RAM. It was consuming at least 80W. It was changed for several reasons :
  • it was too slow for what I wanted to do
  • it was too hot inside the "secretary" it was in
  • it was too noisy when we were in the same room. Problem : the secretary is in the living room.
The desktop was used to execute misc regular jobs and long run calculations, so I couldn't switch it off.

For the "too hot" problem, I used powertop : LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux.
Don't forget to read powertop's FAQ. More on powertop in a future message...
Between optimized and unoptimized configurations the processor went from 75°C to 55°C (167°F to 131°F) which did make a difference in summer in the living room temperature : 2-3°C (4-7°F).

The tests I did with the wattmeter were that the consumption were the same (remember, it was an old Pentium IV) between optimized and unoptimized. By default a processor is in "performance" mode. The default optimized configuration is the "ondemand" module which reduces the CPU frequency when idle and accelerate it when used. With the "powersave" module, the CPU frequency is always the lowest and the consumption were the same when the CPU is idle, but it was up to 25W (100W vs 125W for the whole system) when the CPU load was high.

Because the heat difference I was using the desktop in ondemand mode. For lower consumption I was killing all these graphical applications that are using much CPU and switching off the LCD when out. More about screens consumption & management in a future message...

Finally I changed that old desktop by a newer notebook, bought to my former employer when I left him, to gain in consumption. This desktop was usually over 80-100W while a notebook is usually under 30-40W... More about my notebook consumption & management in a future message...

Changing the desktop by a notebook had the effect of lower noise. When I changed my firewall 2 years ago I choose a low noise PC. More about my firewall consumption & management in a future message...

Denis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 12:32 PM   #2
GenKreton
Lurking Renovator

Send a message via AIM to GenKreton

It's great to see another Gentoo user

I recently changed notebooks to another extremely old one that was gifted to me because my previous one was dying. The stats are almost identical but somewhere during or slightly after the switch I lost the ability to change the governor manually while in the OS. I've been planning on investigating this since before the summer but never seem to get to it. Do you have any suggestions on why this may be? The /proc entries no longer exist. It's a 2nd gen centrino, 1.6 GHz with 1mb cache. Besides more RAM and being 200 MHz they are literally identical machines.
GenKreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 05:42 PM   #3
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Another Gentoo user here.
Why hypermile just the car? ("HyperMIPing" your computer) - CleanMPG Forums
Old 04-11-09, 11:22 PM   #4
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Arg! Must... Compile... Everything!

roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote