EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-12, 10:37 AM   #11
S-F
You Ain't Me

Well, I made a drill and fill video but the batteries on my camera died right at the end so I haven't uploaded it. Also I need to create a company YouTube channel and the president of the company has been out of town for a week so I've had to wait on that. I think I'm doing another house tomorrow and Friday and I'll try to make the video again. The end is important because that's where many people mess up and blow fuzz all over themselves and the nicely mulched beds and flowers that they are trampling. Maybe I'll just upload what I've got so you guys can give me some feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 10:52 AM   #12
S-F
You Ain't Me

Drill and Fill Part 1:

Part 2:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 07-04-12 at 10:56 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S-F For This Useful Post:
menaus2 (07-10-12), rhizomatic (10-14-12)
Old 07-04-12, 11:11 AM   #13
S-F
You Ain't Me

Any input?

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-04-12, 11:47 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

I think they're great. Of course I'm sure some editing is in order. You should also talk about dense pack blowers being different from attic type blowers. AFAIK you can't just go rent a dense pack machine, this makes DIY more difficult. Have you heard of places that rent dense pack machines?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 11:54 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Oh yeah, and perhaps explain how to adjust the air/cellulose mixture?

&
Old 07-04-12, 08:01 PM   #16
S-F
You Ain't Me

Ok Daox. I've spent the afternoon thinking about your feedback. There is no difference between a blower for an open blow and for dense packing. The blowers at home cheapo are just not robust enough for dense packing. To open blow you just take the tiger flex hose off. But making a video on managing the machine is a good idea though. Honestly I don't know how to fine tune the settings on the machines I'm using. I don't get to blow wall or attics too much any more and the guy tending the hopper takes care of everything. I'll say "more material" or "less material" and he does it, by adjusting the "gate". BTW the lumber yards here rent real blowers for about $5 0 a day. Tiger flex hose and all.

I went into this with the intention of making a tutorial. I think what I need to do is take a ton of footage and then edit.

Quote:
Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to S-F For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-05-12)
Old 07-05-12, 08:37 AM   #17
Daox
Administrator

I don't think a ton of editing is needed. Just cut out the time where you're just standing there and you'll probably want to add an intro and/or ending with your company info.

Thanks for the info about the lumber yard renting dense pack blowers. I wasn't aware of that.

&
Old 07-05-12, 07:53 PM   #18
SimpleManLance
Helper EcoRenovator

First i want to say i appreciate you doing this.

I cant believe it took that long to fill one cavity with dense packed. it must take forever to do a complete house. The foam insulation i got seemed to go by rather fast. but i know that is apple to oranges.

Maybe state how many sq ft the job is and how much material is used. Give a rundown on how the machine is operated/fed. I know this is just the first go at it and i think you did a great job just watching that has opened my eyes to this method.
Old 10-14-12, 04:55 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Any other videos planned or done?

&
Old 10-14-12, 05:41 PM   #20
S-F
You Ain't Me

The slow time of year for my work is just ending so I haven't been doing much. What I have been doing is mostly not interesting to watch. I think I've worked on one drill 'n fill since I made that video. Maybe two. I have been on several jobs recently where we were doing a double wall with 12" of cellulose but I always went to those jobs last minute and didn't have the camera. But, yes, more videos are planned.

Quote:
Quote: