EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-11, 07:40 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Very nice summary thread! Are you planning on getting anymore attachments for it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 09:58 PM   #12
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Very nice summary thread! Are you planning on getting anymore attachments for it?
Thanks so far it seems to work.
I have the rear lift for it and a sleeve hitch for it. As for rear attachments I have a Brinly cultivator and 10" plow that has a broken point, in the proses of getting another point (share) for it. Also I have a home made reversible box scrapper with teeth that I want to adapt for the sleeve hitch.
I have the MF630 Dozer blade (snow plow), 42" blade that works good. With 2 link tire chains.
I have a pull behind reel mower set.
Any powered attachments will have to be self powered as the way the motor is mounted they won't work. Even if the motor was in the same place as the gas engine was it wouldn't have enough power to drive them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	masseys 058.jpg
Views:	3754
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brinly 001.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1517   Click image for larger version

Name:	masseys 033.jpg
Views:	3236
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Massey 038.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1520   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachments 002.jpg
Views:	15491
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1521  

Last edited by dh1; 05-19-11 at 10:00 PM..
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 08:43 AM   #13
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

An amazing conversion! I'm extremely impressed by the performance of that motor.
And the battery life.. That controller was a good investment!

Congrats Doug, on a job very well done!
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 10:10 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Wow, you have a whole bunch of attachments for it. Very nice.

&
Old 05-20-11, 08:30 PM   #15
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
An amazing conversion! I'm extremely impressed by the performance of that motor.
And the battery life.. That controller was a good investment!

Congrats Doug, on a job very well done!
I think the controller with the foot throttle is what really makes it work good.
the motor has enough to move it around, when I plow the snow I use 3rd or 4th gear, 4th is nice as it's faster. It seems to have a lot of low rpm power and as the rpms go up the power or torque drops off. It will go really fast down hill and slow right up going up the same hill.
I picked the 200amp controller over the 3ooamp mainly to limit the power to the motor. To try to protect it for burning up to quick. I don't know how much more power you would get with the 300amp unit, be nice to try just to see.
One thing I might do is install a another solenoid with a momentary switch, to connect the batteries direct to the motor as a power boost, that would show a power gain if there is any.

Anybody have a line on meters, looking for 2 1/8" round amp and volt meters.
0 to 300 amps, and 0 to 40 or so volts.
Be nice to see what this thing draws when used under different conditions.
Old 05-21-11, 08:44 AM   #16
Daox
Administrator

Ebay is usually good for inexpensive gauges.

Be careful if you make a controller bypass circuit. Controllers aren't the most robust items and an inductive surge could harm it once the bypass has been shut off. On Ecomodder.com (our sister site), BenNelson did this with his electric Geo Metro (search for electrometro). He had to wait a few seconds before reconnecting the controller after using the bypass or something to ensure it was safe for the controller.

Found his thread for you. Its huge though, might be easier to just PM him on the forum.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hread-848.html

&

Last edited by Daox; 05-21-11 at 08:47 AM..
Old 05-21-11, 09:40 PM   #17
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Ebay is usually good for inexpensive gauges.

Be careful if you make a controller bypass circuit. Controllers aren't the most robust items and an inductive surge could harm it once the bypass has been shut off. On Ecomodder.com (our sister site), BenNelson did this with his electric Geo Metro (search for electrometro). He had to wait a few seconds before reconnecting the controller after using the bypass or something to ensure it was safe for the controller.

Found his thread for you. Its huge though, might be easier to just PM him on the forum.

Ben Nelson's Electro-Metro Build thread - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
I have heard of other guys using bypass circuits that's why I ask.
The controller didn't really cost a lot of $ but if it breaks or fails it will take me a long time to get it repaired or replaced, I think it was about 3 to 4 weeks to get the one I have so I think I should leave well enough alone.
Old 06-23-11, 07:42 PM   #18
greif
a van down by the river

looks great
how did the batteries preform in the cold? Did you preheat them before using?

Gary
greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 10:45 PM   #19
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greif View Post
looks great
how did the batteries preform in the cold? Did you preheat them before using?

Gary
thanks, the batteries work good, there is no preheater, tractor is stored in a unheated garage, I haven't used them long enough to drain them down to the point where you notice power loss, I charge them after each use to keep them fully charged. I think that if I had any kind of powered attachment on the tractor the batteries would drain down alot faster.
If you compared the run time of my 3-12volt vs an Elec-Trak with 6-6volt it would be night and day difference. I believe battery power on an electric tractor rules, the more amp-hrs the better.
Old 06-24-11, 06:57 PM   #20
greif
a van down by the river

I want to convert my John Deere gator to elec since motor is going anyway and I use it to plow snow in the winter and want to make sure I have enough battery life. It normally takes me about 45mins to plow but want to make sure I have enough for 90 minutes for when we have the big storms.
I plan on doing either 48 or 72v

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote