EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-17, 04:42 PM   #11
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
The Mississippi Power meter fee of $0.78 per day is what hurts the most!!! $23.73 for the courtesy of being attached to their grid!

I have two electric bills, 2000 miles apart. The bill for Florida is $7.87 per month meter fee. The my bill in Maine is $7.31 per month meter fee.

Using the solarpowerrocks grading scales, my states each only rate a "C".

The other kicker in the fine print of the Mississippi Power agreement was the clause "Upon acceptance of this agreement, Customer shall voluntarily transfer their renewable energy credits to the Company". Ok, maybe there's no market for those REC's today, but sooner or later they may become valuable.

I could compute what my equivalent bill would be with my 4.4kW PV array using their math, but it sure incentivizes the Tesla Powerwall strategy when Mississippi Power charges $0.01581 per kWh for using a Net Meter.

I have gave high high thoughts to just going off grid completely only thing is the battery bank being so expensive that it hurts deeply. I only use 15 kws average per day over 3 years so far . But off grid is for a house is higher than im looking.

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 07:56 PM   #12
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I plan to go with emphase 210 or 250 micro inverters.
I've got plenty invested in Enphase M215's. Zero issues to date.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 09:38 PM   #13
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
The Mississippi Power meter fee of $0.78 per day is what hurts the most!!! $23.73 for the courtesy of being attached to their grid!

I have two electric bills, 2000 miles apart. The bill for Florida is $7.87 per month meter fee. The my bill in Maine is $7.31 per month meter fee.

Using the solarpowerrocks grading scales, my states each only rate a "C".

The other kicker in the fine print of the Mississippi Power agreement was the clause "Upon acceptance of this agreement, Customer shall voluntarily transfer their renewable energy credits to the Company". Ok, maybe there's no market for those REC's today, but sooner or later they may become valuable.

I could compute what my equivalent bill would be with my 4.4kW PV array using their math, but it sure incentivizes the Tesla Powerwall strategy when Mississippi Power charges $0.01581 per kWh for using a Net Meter.
I have really been looking into the power wall with the 18650s lately thinking of doing this but not really sure when there is a perfectly good power grid . But the fact of not relying on them is a nice idea. Hopefully by the end of the year i should have 8 kw worth of solar pannels sitting in my shop.
Old 08-14-17, 09:11 AM   #14
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
How much money do you have to spend?
Do you have any related skill sets to solar install or power generation?

First thing you need to do is save as much power as possible. Get all gas appliances, if you already have them great. If not that could get spendy.
That reminds me I need to find a gas dryer.
Insulate the house as much as possible. If you want air conditioning you can pretty much forget about your current machine. Unless you just happened to replace it recently with a high efficiency inverter unit.
It is cheaper to save power rather than install more panels, more battery and a bigger/more inverter(s).
If you don't have natural gas consider solar water heating.

For me to go off grid I would need to cut current electrical use in half and go on about a $15,000 spending spree and that's me installing it my self, I have all the wire and probably all the connectors I would need (budget at least $1,000 for just wire and connectors ) and I already have backup generators (saving $3,000 to $4,000).
Thankfully I do have the electrical skill to do the solar installation and do it all correctly and mostly my self My only thing would be finding time . Unfortunately . I wasn't gifted in Legal terminology also. So this is throwing me for a loopy loop. You say gas appliances . My question is why to me that is kinda robbing peter to pay for paul. Only benifit (other than cost of battery storage is money. Water heating you can use an electrical heat pump or one could go as far as a geothermal water heater.(Not sure if anyone has yet) Cooking can be done with solar. Cooking is the only thing i can see having gas for I have never owned a dryer always have used a clothes line but one could probably design one with solar and maybe a dehumidifier. (only a concept yes more to it than that i know.) My unit right now is just the same one i installed a few years ago cheapy kozy kool 12k inverter unit and i only cool half of the home any ways the other side we dont air condition becuase we dont stay in there. A few winters ago i did design a 12 by 8 solar air heater to keep it warm in there in winter It came on at 9 and off at 3. I believe i posted a picture and some stuff on it . Still planning on just doing geothermal for my heating,cooling and water heating. Have plenty of time to decide on that being current method works.
Old 08-20-17, 02:17 PM   #15
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

From what i am looking at i think that i may have an understanding. Looks like there is only 1 meter that spins meters energy fed and used . I was thinking this for example( i used 15kw per day . That to get any benefit was i would almost have to triple my energy generated to offset my energy use any at all .)

Am i understanding net metering correctly that i have one single meter . I wont be pulling energy from there grid. As long as my system is designed properly averaging 16 kw daily theoretical only not actual .

My main reason for getting solar any at all is the $ benefit in it way i was understanding it before i seen no reason at all to be connected to there grid. Can some of you gurus who knows this net metering stuff help explain . Like i said i think i now have an understanding on that.
Old 08-27-17, 09:23 PM   #16
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Found this . Being i am shooting for a 10-15 kw array once finished . I should be considered a level one

DSIRE
Old 08-28-17, 05:48 PM   #17
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

If you don't want to grid tie, figure out how to get the most out of the panels you install. Heating water, making ice, and charging electric vehicles are high on the list. Any method you can use to either directly use or store energy is better than dumping the excess. As long as you are harvesting energy that can reduce your utility bills, every little bit helps to maximize the return on the investment.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 06:10 PM   #18
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Considering that the grid as of now is way more economical than dumping it into batteries and such i think i would be a fool to not dump it into the grid . We all have our reasons for doing things . My main concern is money and payoff long term . I have found a deal on pannels and am thinking of going ahead and buying way more than i need . (EV on the wishlist for my future way battery tech is going)

As i have read more i have found for now i have one meter . I seen on the tube where some people may have two they load into the grid and get paid for that at basically cost. But you have to pay for every little bit of juice that you take from there grid reason for me starting this post . Basically i offset my useage near 100%. The way i originally thought is net meter is i put in 45 kw to = my 15 kws. That wasnt happening. To me . Its all about the dollar bills right down to the pennies

Now i am really considering doing a setup that dumps some juice into some batteries for backup for the bare essentials for a few days . Right now i am pretty sure most everything i have is energy efficient . Mini split i am working on the project making it more efficient than it already is . Only thing that i will replace is my fridge . It is old and very inefficient.
Old 08-28-17, 08:04 PM   #19
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

You said “My main concern is money and payoff long term.”

If they offer net metering it is hard to pass up. It is basically using the grid as your battery.
I would love to have banks of batteries and be off grid. The net metering deal we have right now is a great deal. I will not do anything until that deal goes away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 08:32 PM   #20
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
You said “My main concern is money and payoff long term.”

If they offer net metering it is hard to pass up. It is basically using the grid as your battery.
I would love to have banks of batteries and be off grid. The net metering deal we have right now is a great deal. I will not do anything until that deal goes away.

Yep. I found pannels from a guy getting rid of them super cheap. So I am going ahead while I have the chance and getting at least the pannels. This will significantly reduce my pay out . And the fact I will do it my self .

Yea the way I see it is a much more reliable storage device. As of now.