EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-17, 01:56 PM   #161
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes I agree he does have a good post on the Volt forum.
2016 Volt 120v EVSE is L1/L2 Conversion Capable

His images
http://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

Just incase someone else wants to try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 10:02 AM   #162
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have had my Volt for a while now. I just had to make a quick trip to Fort Myers FL.
On the drive back I had a fully charged car and I stopped in Jacksonville FL at my nephew’s place and charged my car close to full charge. It was old wiring so I only charged with 8 amps. I did not feel comfortable with 12 amps.
I drove 675 miles one way 40 MPG I was driving 75-76 most of the way. When the car calculates MPG it also counts the EV miles.
If you drive very long trips all the time a Toyota Prius would do better than a Volt.
But that is not how we use our car so the Volt works well for us.

We have 67,458 solar Powered EV miles so far.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 03-23-17, 10:05 AM   #163
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxeroh View Post
All black, including interior. Comfort package which includes the heated seats and steering wheel. Now I just need to take a gander at this charger to determine if it's one of the clipper creek models that can do L2 charging as well. I know the 2016 chargers were, but I'm going to need to crack it open before I start making stupid dangerous adapters and whatnot.
How do you like your new Volt?

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 05-01-17, 04:32 PM   #164
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We now have 69,007 solar powered miles on or 2013 Volt.
My new tires are getting broken in we got 39 EV miles this morning.
The car is still running great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VoltApr17.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	7759  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 05-01-17, 07:58 PM   #165
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

How many miles per charge were you getting on the old tires ?

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 08:02 PM   #166
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

OEM tires 43-45 when heat was not needed.

The problem I have with the OEM tires is if you bump or hit a curb you can bust a side wall. If you are careful you can avoid this issue. My wife drives the car 98% of the time. She caught a curb and had a flat tire close to time they needed replaced anyway. So I changed to a better tire for safety the volt does not have a spare tire. We get about a 10% hit on EV mileage for replacing the tires. Michelin made the tires for the Gen2 volt I bet those tires are better. They changed the tire size from the Gen1 volt.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 05-02-17 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-03-17, 10:10 PM   #167
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I go out to Volt stats every so often.
Look at sparkie 379,957 miles that is a bunch of miles.
It is good to see volts with over 100K EV miles on their batteries.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VoltStat.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	7760  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 05-04-17, 06:51 AM   #168
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rubber band low profile tires either. Vehicle number 3 had them on it when I bought it:

For comparison, the newer TahoeBlazer behind my truck has stock size wheels and tires on it. Me likey bigger wheels. Not so much shorty tires. They tend to die young.

I'm now down to only the right front being low profile, due to various road hazards and people trying to wreck into me. The truck drives much more like a tractor with the 245/45/20 tires on it, and becomes a "non off-road" vehicle. Evasive maneuvers are a whole lot more difficult when you break a bead digging into a swerve! When the first one blew out on me, I went to the local Firestone shop and asked the counter guy what size they sold the most of. So now it has 3 used 275/55/20 tires on it. The rubber band will be coming off soon, as it has picked up a screw. It now needs air every five days or whenever I get gas, whichever comes first.

The whole gas saving argument is more of a sales pitch. Truth be told, older broken in tires get better fuel economy than brand new tires (like 15-20% less friction better), just because they have that little curve on the edges. It's not your alignment in most cases, it's friction distribution. Blah blah science physics blah blah the edges wear out first. By the time most people think their tires are worn out, they are getting 3 or 4 extra miles per tank of gas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170504_072959.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	7761  

Last edited by jeff5may; 05-04-17 at 07:27 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 07:52 AM   #169
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I have always read . heard the " rubber band " tires ride much rougher .

When I put new OEM low rolling resistance tires tires on the Leaf , the miles per charge dropped a little . Never got them " broken in " before the car was rear ended . :-(

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 03:25 PM   #170
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Our 2013 Chevy Volt just hit 70K EV miles all solar powered. My wife still getting 39 EV miles taking the boys to school this morning and 38 in the afternoon 100% EV miles.
70K EV miles and still getting good range.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013Volt_70K.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	7775  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 05-17-17 at 04:37 PM..