Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-13, 12:24 PM   #1
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default integrated home refridgerator

My mother is once again in the market for both a refridgerator and a water heater. She likes the idea of my GE Geospring for the water heater and we were discussing options for the fridge.

This got me thinking of integrating the two appliances. I found a few posts that mentioned this idea in passing but it seems to me a interesting enough idea to start a thread.

I propose two directions to look into.

First, an average size ~22 cubic foot custom cabinet or modded fridge in the kitchen plumbed through a modded small window A/C unit to an adjacent water tank heat exchanger.

Second, a larger custom closet in the basement, possibly walk in with a chest freezer inside. Again plumbed through a medium size modded window type A/C unit to a water tank heat exchanger.

I have not yet done any calculations, but I guess the first would at least be a good pre-heater for a small on-demand water heater and the second might be enough for a medium size house's daily hot water needs.

Either way a super insulated box and an A/C feeding a tank as a preheated supply should be doable.

hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote