EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-11, 09:36 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Minimum plumbing slope for drainage?

I'm trying to figure out the tank to solar panel slope I'll need. I believe the general rule is 1/4" every foot. Is it possible to get away with less than this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 01:35 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'm trying to figure out the tank to solar panel slope I'll need. I believe the general rule is 1/4" every foot. Is it possible to get away with less than this?
1/4" to the foot is the minimum.

-AC_Hacker
Old 01-16-12, 08:24 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra View Post
All of your drain pipe must slope slightly downhill. Usually 1/8”per foot is plenty for drainage, this is the same as the commonly recommended 1% slope.
Code in the US is 1/4" per foot... 1/8" per foot may be ok in the UK, but 1/4" per foot minimum is code in US.

-AC
Old 01-26-12, 08:17 PM   #4
mrd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The code required slope for drainage pipes is specified to maintain what's known as a "scouring velocity" - this is to keep solids in suspension and prevent accumulations. The Manning formula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia would be the formalization of this. International Plumbing Code specifies 1/4 inch per foot minimum slope for pipes <3", and 1/8 inch per foot for 3-6" pipes.

Do you need to be concerned with solids in suspension?
mrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 10:00 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the update mrd.

I do not have to be concerned with solids suspension. The question was in regards to for a drain back system for a solar hot water setup. In the end I decided to do a pressurized loop instead of a drain back just due to the grade of my land.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 10:18 AM   #6
peteinspain
penny wise plumber

standard plumbing falls are 1 in 40 for 4 inch drain (2.5%) and 1 in 60 for 6 inch but any fall for liquid is ok if its just water and time is not an issue
peteinspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 12:07 PM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteinspain View Post
standard plumbing falls are 1 in 40 for 4 inch drain (2.5%) and 1 in 60 for 6 inch but any fall for liquid is ok if its just water and time is not an issue
There are three issues here, one issue is the physics of the plumbing solution, the second is the international code that applies to the plumbing solution and the third is the local code legality of the plumbing solution.

International plumbing code does not legally superseded all local plumbing code.

I know this to be true in the state where I live, Oregon, USA.

Here, although physics and International Plumbing Code would allow lower slopes, local code specifies slightly greater slope, and construction cannot legally proceed until a local inspector, who is bound by the local code, approves the particulars of the installation upon inspection.

I fully realize that DIY and legality may diverge, so it is wise to be aware of all aspects of the situation.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 03-16-12 at 12:09 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote