EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-17, 02:59 PM   #31
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

OK , so , I had it in my head wrong . So , the 2 copper tubes that stick out from the IDU are part of the evaporator coil piping ? Not spliced on to the evaporator tubes ?

That makes sense from the point of view of reducing the silver solder / braze joints . Reducing the potential points of failure .

Thanks , :-)

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 03:45 PM   #32
Shelby
Lurking Renovator

I'm just now getting around to writing an update and posting some photos. My son was here early (coffee in hand) and quickly checked the pressure which thankfully held overnight.

Next steps:
He slowly released the nitrogen to within 1 PSIG and attached the vacuum pump and micron gauge. He opened the liquid & vapor valves, started the vacuum pump first to get a vacuum on the line before opening the ball valve. The vacuum process (which Xringer indicated it would) took a good long while this time. After 50 minutes, the system was down to 650 microns with an outside temp of 49 degrees (80% humidity). He continued to let it run until it was down to 300 microns. He noticed the numbers bouncing between 300 and 6-700 microns every so often. I noticed he would rotate between closing the valves (around 300 microns), pulling a vacuum down to 60 or so microns and then re-opening the valves. I asked him why he was doing this and he indicated that he just wanted to make sure that the bounce only occurred with the valves open. Once the jumping around settled (with the valves open) he just let the vacuum pump do it's thing. I'd say he vacuumed the system for 2 hours (total) just to make sure that it was thorough.

So he was feeling pretty confident that the system was ready for refrigerant. He attached a hose directly to the tank and the other end with a liquid adapter and a ball valve. With the ball valve closed, he opened the tank and using the ball valve, purged the air in the line. With the ball valve closed, he attached it to the service port. He then placed the tank on the scale and got a overall weight of 32lbs 13.8oz. He zero'd out the scale and set the alarm for 1lb 12oz. He then slowly opened the ball valve about 2-3 degrees (just barely open) and watched the scale. Once he had a feel for how quickly the unit was accepting the refrigerant he left it alone. It took about 4-5 minutes total. The alarm on the scale started to go off around 1lb 8oz. He set the ball valve to around 1-2 degrees and just let the refrigerant creep until it was at 1lb 12oz and shut everything off.

Now onto the digital gauges he used, no wires whatsoever or hoses (kind of neat). With the unit still off, he took an initial reading of 154 PSIG and temp. of 57.4 degrees (picture attached). He then restored power outside and went inside with his iPad and turned the unit on. Well so he thought !!! Our first problem since this project began.

The thermostat indicated an error P9. He checked the manual and knew just where to check. he shut off the outdoor power and removed the clam shell (not sure what else to call it) so he could access the connectors. He discovered he had placed the connector but didn't fully seat it. This wire is apparently the thermistor connection. He re-seated it and I restored power. Sure enough, the system started right up (heat mode). He then measured the outdoor temp and indoor temp (coming from the unit). 66.3 outdoor and 120 coming from the unit (heat was set to 75 degrees).

Sorry for the long write-up (maybe it'll help someone). I'll upload some photos here in a minute and I have at least 300 photos of the disassembly/re-assembly of the indoor unit (I'll post those on Microsoft OneDrive). I'm hoping we didn't miss any steps...

A big thanks to Xringer for his write-ups and amazing assistance not to mention giving my son the confidence he needed to vacuum down the outdoor unit (he's never done this before). The unit was running super quiet and putting out tons of heat.

--Shelby
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelby For This Useful Post:
pelotin (03-05-17), Xringer (02-05-17)
Old 02-05-17, 03:57 PM   #33
Shelby
Lurking Renovator

And some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO_RefrigerantScale.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	7599   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO_ChargeAdapters.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	7600   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO_WeighedCharge.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	7601   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO_DigitalManifold.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	7602   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO_ReadingsBeforePowerUp.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	7604  

Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 04:03 PM   #34
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Xinger has been a great mentor for a lot of us .

Very good project and wright up . Looking forward to seeing more photos .

God bless
Wyr
Old 02-05-17, 05:17 PM   #35
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Wow! That was an amazing project for a Father-Son DIYer team ..
Done without much drama too! I would have freaked when I saw that error!
You guys did great.. I hope that unit is going to be problem free for at least 10 years!

I attempted to post yesterday, but things were hectic here and I had to run out for a while.
Same thing today.. Learning how to repair electric dryers..
Not as easy to do as it's portrayed on youtube...

I'm glad you are going to post mucho photos.. Not sure using on-line storage is idea..
If they are posted here, it's pretty much a very long term deal..
Maybe pick out some of the best (most relevant?) shots and size them down a bit.?.
(To save bandwidth) for direct posting and leave the full-sized versions in the Clouds.. For as long as they last..

You will be amazed at how many people will read this tread, over the next decade or so..
You and your Son will be helping out other DIYers, for years to come..
Look at some of my stuff.. That's OLD.. Like me..

Cheers,
Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to Xringer For This Useful Post:
pelotin (03-05-17)
Old 04-23-17, 11:00 PM   #36
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

Sounds just like my story except my unit was a 30K LG. To their credit, LG Support sent me that same one piece evaporator when I explained that the HVAC installer on record had left town. I replaced the part myself. Reinstalled the condenser (don't ask....). Ran a new copper lineset. and pulled a good vacuum. Now I just have to get my new HVAC guy back from vacation to weigh in some R410A from my tank.

Thanks for the great info in this thread, guys!
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 07:53 AM   #37
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Consider the purchase of a scale , good enough to serve the purpose & not wait for him to return from vacation ?

God bless
Wyr