EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-16, 08:44 AM   #1
kenora
Lurking Renovator

Default Q about GREE U-Crown ASHP

I want to heat and cool with a 18000 btu seer 21 unit..

Home

with baseboard electric backup (i'm in Kenora NW Ontario, Canada.. zone 7)

I have not been able to determine is they have a pan heater to deal with freezing condensate.. I have emailed the Co. twice but got no reply.. I called once and got a promise that they would look into it and call back.... thats over a month ago..

Does anyone have experience with these U-Crown units that can advise me? Also...there is No dealer in Canada W of the GTA..is my only option buying through the US and shipping to the border?

kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 07:17 PM   #2
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Hey kenora. Any luck getting a response?

I am looking at the same unit. As I understand it from the US manuals: there is a defrost element. Not surprising as they run to -30.

Also I am having no luck finding a reasonable price in Canada. The best I've got is 4600 installed. Which. Gasp. Seeing as it's online for 1500 US (2k can). Uninstalled of course. I live 20 minutes from the border. So. Not such a big deal. What about you. Getting any decent quotes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog that is down right now but will return
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 07:57 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

@Creeky

Come on you can do your own install. You are doing the Volt battery pack much more difficult than a Mini split install.

I did it with no experience at all so have others here.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...t-install.html

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 08:09 PM   #4
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

thx Pinball. yup. I plan on following in yer'all footsteps. Gosh I'd hang my head in shame if I didn't. Probably some guys would show up and strip me of my work boots, pex crimper and volt meter. lol.

It's just that I can't find the U-crown locally. I have to buy the install with it. So I search for better deals.

Meanwhile my girlfriend has decided she doesn't want to heat the studio. She wants to go directly to an air-to-water heat pump to replace the gas boiler heating her radiant floor. :two thumbs up:

I even contemplated tackling the "manifesto" but so far I'm pretty busy with another project. And that's before I get to the girlfriends Volt battery / solar install to run the ashp.

hopefully kenora has found a budget retail source for the pump.

Old 12-16-16, 04:47 PM   #5
kenora
Lurking Renovator

I haven't heard a peep from GREE yet... seems customer (or potential customer in my case) service is NOT their strong suit.
I still need to know whether there is a pan heater before I jump in...anyone???

Hey... I visited your blog and saw a reference to a free HOW TO GUIDE to build a PV system...

I like free

Last edited by kenora; 12-16-16 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: last comments
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-16, 02:31 PM   #6
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

@kenora. I'd be happy to help with your PV setup. The free guide was a project that I started with two other fellas. I did a rough draft. Still waiting for a response .... ha ha ha. Dat's the way it goes sometimes. Contact me via my blog.

Did you get any pricing here in Canada? Suppliers? Costs?

The US site has all the manuals online for the crown series.

On page 12 of the service manual you'll see the instructions for hooking up the drain. It doesn't appear that they use a pan. Instead you're directed to remove the flow via a hose or ...

Perhaps simply installing the unit with adequate drainage below would suffice?

If you have a read let me know what you think. Two heads and all that ...

Old 12-18-16, 05:54 AM   #7
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

No clue where , but I have read of Canadians driving across the border , into the USA , to pick up MS's that were not sold in the Canada . Seems like they may have had to go through customs & pay a fee ?

We have installed 2 MS's . You will need a vacuum pump ( available for " loan " at auto parts stores , in south central USA ) , refrigerant gauges / hoses ( maybe , maybe not ) and other tooling .

Figure that in if you do not already have the tooling .

Best of luck . :-)

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote