EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-15, 09:37 PM   #11
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

The open concept room is about 500 square feet, and the bedroom suite is around 250. I was going to put a 12,000 BTU unit in the big room and a 9000 BTU in the bedroom area.
It would work nicely to run those areas separately. Now the forced air furnace heats the whole place up in the mornings, when all we need is the bedroom area.

skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 10:22 PM   #12
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I have a couple of dedicated 120V circuits already run. Any suggestions on 120V units?
I am in the puget sound area, so not too cold. I also have an electric furnace as primary now so backup is not an issue.
Due to advances in modern technology, one can now purchase pre-hacked window shakers that run off 120 volts. The manufacturers have figured out that some people would actually be willing to pay for a small, micro-sized package heat pump unit. Perfect solution for the average eco-conscious apartment dwellers and cheap enough for those who are not ready for a minisplit.

Frigidaire FFRH0822R1 8,000-BTU 115V Compact Slide-Out Chasis Air Conditioner/Heat Pump with Remote Control - Walmart.com

My guess is that these units work like smaller versions of the GE Zoneline units. They will not automatically change over from heating to cooling mode, they must be manually switched. The heat pump function works down to around freezing outdoor temperature, then they fall back to an internal electric strip heating element. Above about 0 degC, they put out 2-3 times the btu's versus below freeezing. Not quite as efficient or functional as a full-fledged minisplit unit, but what do you expect for under $500?
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 11:04 PM   #13
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

here was what I was looking at.
GREE Evo+ 12,000 BTU Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner
Thanks. I will quit hijacking this thread
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 10:39 AM   #14
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

We have a gas furnace that is our heat source when temperatures drop to the point where the MS HP looses efficiency .

Our first MS is a little over 2 seasons old . 13 SEER non-inverter . I turn it off at about 25 F outside temperature .

Our second MS , we installed at the first part of this last summer . It is 16 SEER with inverter . Just starting to use it . Temperature got down to just above freezing last night .

Both are 12,000 BTU cool on 120 VAC .

I like both MS's , but the inverter MS is a large improvement .

I did both installs , with assistance of family members . I would have never attempted the installs w/o help from forums like this & youtube videos .

I would never had gone with MS's , if my choices were limited to the high dollar brands . Or if I had to bear the cost of a contractor install .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 11:32 AM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
due to advances in modern technology, one can now purchase pre-hacked window shakers that run off 120 volts. The manufacturers have figured out that some people would actually be willing to pay for a small, micro-sized package heat pump unit. Perfect solution for the average eco-conscious apartment dwellers and cheap enough for those who are not ready for a minisplit.

frigidaire ffrh0822r1 8,000-btu 115v compact slide-out chasis air conditioner/heat pump with remote control - walmart.com

my guess is that these units work like smaller versions of the ge zoneline units. They will not automatically change over from heating to cooling mode, they must be manually switched. The heat pump function works down to around freezing outdoor temperature, then they fall back to an internal electric strip heating element. Above about 0 degc, they put out 2-3 times the btu's versus below freeezing. Not quite as efficient or functional as a full-fledged minisplit unit, but what do you expect for under $500?
you have posted a dead_link
Old 11-06-15, 03:27 PM   #16
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I got it to work . Link to a unit on the Walmart web site .

Frigidaire FFRH0822R1 8,000-BTU 115V Compact Slide-Out Chasis Air Conditioner/Heat Pump with Remote Control - Walmart.com

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini splits hp