EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-01-16, 11:43 AM   #611
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I just ordered 200 foot ¼” vinyl coated cable. I plan putting three cables over each grow bed this will allow me to tie up plants a lot better. It is time to have something that will be up forever.
I bought crimps and turnbuckles for the cables.

I will use this cable to tie the front and back rafters together in three spots. Every 6'

I was able to bring the fish water to 79.7 degrees today. This is exactly where I want the temp to be.
The heat exchanger is working very well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VinylCWire.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	6714  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-01-16 at 05:49 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 09:57 AM   #612
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have some new plants cilantro some strawberries. A lot more tomatoes we have not bought or planted one tomato they have all just came up from last year crop. I am at the point I am losing 2-3 degrees at night on the fish water and gaining that back in the daytime using the new heat exchanger. Fish are very happy and eating well.

I am setting it up to get 40 more tilapia next Friday

Fish water is up to 80.5 degrees so I turned off the heat exchanger early today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1456928616459.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	6716   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160302_085957.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	6717   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160302_090042.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	6718  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-03-16 at 06:52 AM..
Old 03-03-16, 09:20 AM   #613
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am so pleased with the heat exchanger performance.

Last night’s outside temp was 37 Degrees F @ midnight down to 32 degrees @7:15.

The greenhouse never went below 64 degrees F. This is a big improvement to how low it would have gone without the heat exchanger. It is only using 138 watts for both the fan and the pump. It is running 6 or less hours a day.

The fish water was 80 F @ 5:00 yesterday this morning it went down to 75.4 F.
I will use the heat exchanger to heat it back up today.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 03-03-16, 10:26 AM   #614
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

What kind of observations are you getting from the fish with below 60 degree temps to the 70's and now in the 80's? They need more food I imagine too? The plants tend to pick up the pace with the extra nutrients too?
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 04:03 PM   #615
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I fed the fish three times yesterday. With the water 75-80 I try to feed twice a day.

I have been learning how the fish act with different temps. I have three types of fish and each one acts different at different water temps.
Catfish seem to be able to handle the cold the best and still stay active and eat. The catfish does not like to be seen or come out in the light much at all.

The bluegill are ok with cold water but don’t eat much at all. 75-80 they will eat much more and be nice and active. The bluegill will not die from the cold around here like the tilapia.

The tilapia do not like the cold at all. I had some die in 50’s low 60’s they don’t eat and are not active.
75-80 they are all happy and active and eat well. Once that happens the plants take off.

The plants need fish byproduct for nitrates and they also get some nutrients from the fish food. It is pretty cool right now when the fish are eating well. I can see plant growth from morning to night in the same day.

I do find it hard to get good pictures that show the plant growth.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160303_083803.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	6721   Click image for larger version

Name:	FishTemp.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	6729  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-05-16 at 08:40 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-09-16), Geo NR Gee (03-03-16)
Old 03-07-16, 09:58 AM   #616
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have been welding the stands for the DWC bed. I ran out of welding gas over the weekend so I did not finish. But I made good progress. These stands look so much better than the front stands. I now have a 14” chop saw and a hand band saw. My welding has improved so much I know what to look for when welding and what it should sound like and what the pool of molten metal should look like. I now have a hand full of clamps. This all improves the process.

Now that I have the fish water warmer and the fish eating the plants are just taking off. In the last week the greenhouse has not going below 62 at night.

Pollinating tomatoes has been going well I have about 7 more tomatoes starting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160307_083242.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	6730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160307_083255.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	6731   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160307_083351.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	6732  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 03-09-16, 09:57 AM   #617
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have a new Swaging Tool (1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 1/4") coming today. Amazon prime has helped so much with this project. I need to do 1/4" Swags and the hand tools to do this are not cheap.

This will help me put up the cable I bought for hanging the plants.
My welding gas is now filled back up. So I can get back to the Deep water culture DWC stands.
The plants are doing so well and I see growth every day. I have a bunch of green tomatoes on the vines.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swaging Tool.JPG
Views:	788
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	6753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160309_092411.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	6754  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 03-09-16, 03:43 PM   #618
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I hope you don't have lots of cables to string up. That tool will work OK for a few at a time, but if you have lots of work to do, the ones that look like bolt cutters are SO worth it.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 03:51 PM   #619
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have a set that looks like bolt cutters but it will not do ¼”. I know this is the cheap version. I am putting up 9 cable runs if they don’t last that long I will send them back and buy the other one.

These were $48 shipped the other ones are so much more expensive. I was not sure about buying this one but I did not want to have as much money in the tool as the cable.

But I know exactly where you are coming from I was hoping to find a cheap hydraulic set.

This is the review that talked me into trying them out.
"I've crimped probably 50+ 1/4" aluminum crimps with 3 crimps per crimp so a total of 150 cycles"

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 03-09-16, 08:21 PM   #620
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I hear you. 9 cables isn't enough to justify spending money on the tool.
Hey, while you're at the dealer getting more shielding gas, pick up some fluxcore wire. it's like baby stick welding, and you don't need shielding gas. Should work just as good for those stands.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote