EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-17, 08:01 PM   #141
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Considering adding 8-10 panels to our shop. I have room on my existing inverter to add 2600 watts. Would require a conduit from the shop to the house and then to the inverter. Shop roof has no shading. I've noticed it is in full sunlight earlier and later than the roof of the house. Payback period looks to be about 23 months.
Panels are addicting aren't they...

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 08:35 PM   #142
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes they are I caught that bug quickly and upgraded from 9.2 KW to 125KW very quickly.
I am very glad I did this was about the perfect amount to upgrade to. We went very quickly to look at all this power we are making to we could cover all our power needs with solar power.

Solar power is like loaning your self money then you slowly pay it back every month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 10:06 PM   #143
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Panels are addicting aren't they...
Yes. Yes, they are....

My dad is looking into putting a system in now. His city requires a NABCEP certified installer.

Please don't use photobucket... there are a ton of good posts on here that make no sense because the picture is locked by photobucket's paywall.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 10:08 PM   #144
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post

Solar power is like loaning your self money then you slowly pay it back every month.
Awesome quote.

Please don't use photobucket... there are a ton of good posts on here that make no sense because the picture is locked by photobucket's paywall.
Old 04-07-17, 09:20 AM   #145
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I'm with you on that one Roostre! T-shirts now available.

Blog that is down right now but will return

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 11:15 PM   #146
antdun
Lurking Renovator

I've read through this thread and thanks for all the information! Just this week I finally succeeded in getting the permit to proceed with my solar installation from my city (they certainly didn't want to make it easy to do). I have an electrician who I'm going to have do the main parts, but I'm planning to do the installation of the panels on the roof myself.

I'm installing a 6.38 kW system with 22 REC 290 Watt panels, SolarEdge SE7600a-us grid tie inverter, power optimizers, & Snap 'N Rack mounting system.

Roostre, I saw you live in Utah, which is where I live too (in Utah County) and I'm wondering if there's anything you'd do differently now in hindsight, whether working with Rocky Mountain Power, city inspector, or the installation/equipment?
antdun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to antdun For This Useful Post:
Roostre (06-10-17)
Old 06-10-17, 10:26 AM   #147
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdun View Post
I've read through this thread and thanks for all the information! Just this week I finally succeeded in getting the permit to proceed with my solar installation from my city (they certainly didn't want to make it easy to do). I have an electrician who I'm going to have do the main parts, but I'm planning to do the installation of the panels on the roof myself.

I'm installing a 6.38 kW system with 22 REC 290 Watt panels, SolarEdge SE7600a-us grid tie inverter, power optimizers, & Snap 'N Rack mounting system.

Roostre, I saw you live in Utah, which is where I live too (in Utah County) and I'm wondering if there's anything you'd do differently now in hindsight, whether working with Rocky Mountain Power, city inspector, or the installation/equipment?
Awesome! Welcome to the DIY Solar club!

Hindsight...hmmm.
1. Don't wait until winter.
2. Have set deadlines in writing with sub-contractors.
3. Require personal review of plans PRIOR to the sub submitting them to the city.
4. Go bigger right from the start if possible. I now want to add 8-10 panels to my shop in the back as it "sees" sunlight for longer year round.

Rocky Mountain Power was professional and easy to work with in every way. I have zero complaints with them and would like to give them kudos for the job well done.

I live in Alpine; again these folks were the epitome of professional and went out of their way to help us with a sub that was less than helpful. They rushed our re-submittal through to try and help ensure we met the Dec 31st deadline. The city inspector was only here about 20 minutes and had only good things to say about our install.

So far the SolarEdge equipment has been flawless. The monitoring portal had some discrepancies, but one e-mail to their staff and it was fixed a few days later.

I'm glad people are finding this post useful and acting on it! If you have questions on anything you run into; post them here. The folks on this board have a depth of knowledge that I find amazing and intimidating at the same time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roostre For This Useful Post:
antdun (06-14-17)
Old 06-10-17, 10:30 AM   #148
Roostre
EcoLearner

Default Where we sit so far...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roostre For This Useful Post:
antdun (06-14-17), celblazer (06-11-17)
Old 06-13-17, 05:27 PM   #149
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the lessons learned! I think I'm good with not starting in the winter.

I got a couple documents from my electrician to pull the permit from American Fork, but the majority of it I did myself so I know very well all the details in it. It was a pain getting the city to interact with me instead of the contractor though.

I've over sized my system 30% over what's needed to cover my historical average consumption in anticipation of getting a Nissan LEAF later this year as well as some minimal performance degradation and increased electricity consumption as my family gets larger/older.

I have my equipment ordered and I plan to begin my rooftop install next Wednesday June 21st or Thursday 22nd depending on equipment arrival. I hope to have everything completed sometime in July. I'll post pictures of it in a new thread once I get to that point.

Thanks again!
Roostre (06-13-17)
Old 08-18-17, 02:09 PM   #150
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Awesome! Welcome to the DIY Solar club!

So far the SolarEdge equipment has been flawless. The monitoring portal had some discrepancies, but one e-mail to their staff and it was fixed a few days later.

What was the problem that you had with the SolarEdge monitoring portal?

Quote:
You were the first to notice!

Here is a current link:
http://bit.ly/2jcHUsq

It won't be changing now.
Roostre,
I noticed in December/January on your SolarEdge Dashboard that there's many days with zero power production. Were those simply days where snow covered your panels? One gap is like a week long, I'm wondering if you were having internet connectivity issues with your inverter or if it was snow.

Rocky Mountain Power installed my net meter on Monday this week so now I'm online and have a couple days worth of data. You can see my public Dashboard here https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.c...cus#/dashboard

It's interesting to me to look at your power production vs mine and see how the clouds move across our panels since we're only about 5 miles apart. For instance look at the dip in the afternoon yesterday in my attached image.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Productino for Aug 17th.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	7862  

Last edited by antdun; 08-22-17 at 02:28 PM..
antdun is offline   Reply With Quote