EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-13, 09:23 AM   #141
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

You should always get a full charge. It will just vary on how many miles you get on that charge.
In the summer we have traveled 50 miles on a charge.

Today it was 30 deg out my wife precondition the Volt she got 38 miles and went 1 mile on gas.
This afternoon she will get probably 40 EV miles. But we still have 13,505 EV miles solar powered so far this year. This has saved about 631 gallons of gas so far this year.

I agree 95% is very good. I would like 95-100% counting charging my Volt 2 – 3 times a day.
It is funny we add some stuff that is all elect like my Mini splits. Then we add some energy sipping items.

I am slowing dialing in our usage pattern but I really will not know until this summer. That is where the MS will be cooling and my upgraded solar will be working I should be able to carry more solar to the winter to cover the MS heating.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-02-13 at 09:43 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 09:50 AM   #142
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

pinballlooking,

Was told Prius drivers usually get great millage with a volt. Prius drivers understand hyper-miling and have been doing it for years, before buying a Volt. We've had two Prius's for last 6 years. Hybrid's are not new for my wife.

I really think she going to love the car. Thank's for putting up with my ribbing about you owning a Volt. Kind of funny, now I can eat my words.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 10:14 AM   #143
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I could see where Prius drivers would do very well switching over to a Volt. My wife never paid attention to MPG before but she is now doing great with the Volt. It is fun to try to use only solar power when driving.
This video shows the select knob @ 1.24 change it to the attached screen.

It really helps to keep you informed.

Look at the center of the dash it is the most informative mode. The dealer usually does not show people this mode.
The other setting we liked is you can set it to auto lock the car when you walk away from it very convent. You can set it to sond horn when it locks.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....just-walk-away!

I little ribbing is ok and it is great to see another solar power car. I bet she will like it as much as we do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130114_volt_battery_only_mode_dsc00559.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	3732  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-21-21 at 05:59 PM..
Old 12-04-13, 01:15 PM   #144
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I could get use to these electric bills. $8.29 just the meter charge.
We use some of our extra power with the new Mini Splits it has been a very cold Nov.
My natural gas bill does not finished until end of this week but it is trending much lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	3737  
Old 12-04-13, 04:35 PM   #145
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

9K so far today, solar production. Light rain and over cast now.

Looks like the charging is is working it's self now. Third day charging and it's was up to 41 miles of charge this morning. It's just like the Prius Plug-in. The charge miles are dependent on the driver, it's how you drive it. Miles charged can go up or down.

Getting the Volt was the cart before the horse. But it works out better on taxes.

Found tax credit on the charge station, 30% off. I'm liking the GE one, here. During the week is fine, it's the weekend when more miles are driven and level 2 charging is needed. Just like the link says, buying next year will be just fine. The form for tax on 2014 Volt is not out yet, figure that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vern2; 12-04-13 at 04:47 PM..
Old 12-04-13, 05:36 PM   #146
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post

Found tax credit on the charge station, 30% off. I'm liking the GE one, here. During the week is fine, it's the weekend when more miles are driven and level 2 charging is needed. Just like the link says, buying next year will be just fine. The form for tax on 2014 Volt is not out yet, figure that.
L2 charging is a must to really enjoy the car in my opinion

Clippercreek charging
I would get this one hands down. 3 year warranty great price and very good reviews from Volt owners.

Today’s solar was really bad 8.12 KWH rain fog

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-21-21 at 06:00 PM..
Old 12-04-13, 07:21 PM   #147
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

Saving money for my wife is putting potatoes in the cellar.

The NEMA has a good price, best I've seen. Thanks for the links. My wife says no to L2. Listen I had to force her to the Volt dealer, last Sunday when we bought it. Really I like the hard wired NEMA. No 50 amp plug to buy and rewire, got an old welding outlet close to the Volt-age, 10 gauge all the way to 200 amp panel, okay 85' away. I wired every inch of my home. Didn't know better, the smallest wire is 12 gauge.

Old 12-04-13, 09:30 PM   #148
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

With 30% off for taxes the cost would be $359.80. You use less power when you charge with 240.
@ this price you only have to save 103 gallons of gas to pay for the L2 charger. If you plan on keeping the car for at least a couple years it will easily pay for its self. You will be charging with solar so even better.

To precondition the car you need 240 volts or it does not really give payback. All things to consider but there lots of people charging with 120.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-17-13 at 01:07 PM..
Old 12-05-13, 07:26 PM   #149
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post

Looks like the charging is is working it's self now. Third day charging and it's was up to 41 miles of charge this morning. It's just like the Prius Plug-in. The charge miles are dependent on the driver, it's how you drive it. Miles charged can go up or down.

Getting the Volt was the cart before the horse. But it works out better on taxes.

You should join
Volt Stats! Tracking real world usage of Chevy Volts in the wild...
Here is my Volt.
Volt Stats: Details for Volt #2013-02615 (Flynn's Arcade)

Here is a great Volt commercial

Last edited by Daox; 12-10-13 at 09:55 AM..
Old 12-09-13, 02:53 PM   #150
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Wow December has been so cloudy we have made @132 KWH so far that is really bad. We should be @289 KWH so far I hope the sum comes back soon. Yesterday we used 68 KWH but is was laundry day.

12/11 57.4 KWH today that is better.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-11-13 at 08:45 PM..