EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-12, 08:47 PM   #11
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

It's for the billing cycle Oct 23 to Nov 23..

The attic isn't that much of a problem. The last time I installed a layer up there,
I used my IR heat sensor pistola to locate the leaky areas and gave them extra attention.

When compared to burning oil for heat & hot water, I don't consider what I'm spending on my ASHPs a very much money.

But, if I really wanted to save more money, I would nail plywood over
all the windows that weren't south facing, and pump the voids full of foam.

I don't know why they put so many windows in these houses anyway.
Not much to see out there.

Old 11-29-12, 09:03 PM   #12
S-F
You Ain't Me

I don't mean to suggest that you're not making an intelligent choice by using the heat pumps. What you consider "very much money" is also aside from the point. Making your attic tighter and more insulated will help. It's not about the money in many instances. I understand you are into these things for a good time and save a buck but when I see numbers like that, lack of attic insulation and heat gain from glazing are (in my experience) the cause. Unless you like to keep your house winter cold on 99° days.

Have you had a MassSave Audit? You could have a lot of work done on your house for 1/4 of the retail value. If you do so I may be able to recommend some good installers out east.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-12, 10:12 PM   #13
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

The Sanyos don't use much power during the summer. It's much easier to cool, than to heat this house.
When it's over 80 and humid outdoors, setting the Sanyos at 24 (75.2F) keeps us very comfy.

We don't use the AC on most days during the summer. Only when it's hot.
During the approximately five months of summer, I'll bet that our Plasma TV and this PC uses more power than we use for cooling.
Old 11-29-12, 10:17 PM   #14
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Xringer
Looks like your doing pretty well. Especially considering how cold it get there. I wish mine was a bit closer to yours.

Hv23t
Hv23t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 07:26 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Yikes, that is quite high. Do you use electric heat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 09:18 AM   #16
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Yeah this year was the first with electric everything. I'm on a well with quiet a bit of watering that has to be done for the yard and garden. As well as I have a swimming pool that uses 8kwh each and everyday. But just like xringers oil use this is way cheaper than the propane I was burning.

Hv23t
Old 11-30-12, 09:27 AM   #17
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Mansion with the windows open using electric heat with the air conditioner running during an outdoor temperature that I don't even bother turning on my heat?

I'd get an energy audit, seems like you have no insulation or something but then again I don't know anything about your place or your consumption habits. Do Californian's heat their house to 80 degrees in the winter?

Your January usage is not far from my yearly usage over the past 12 months of 1779kwh.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 11-30-12 at 09:30 AM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 10:11 AM   #18
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
heat gain from glazing are (in my experience)
I used to have a big problem with heat gain in the Den.
The two west windows, (32 sq ft total) let in so much solar, it was a PITB to keep cool.
But, the Suntex screens http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...n-project.html eliminated about 95% of the problem.

On some days, when that 32 sq ft of solar gain would have us using fans or Sanyos,
those Suntex screens will keep the room so cool, no cooling is needed.

For some reason, the south facing windows aren't a big problem in summer.
They work pretty well during the winter, when we need solar gain. I guess it's the lower angle.

The cooling cost is so low at 24 to 23 C, during bad pollen days,
we will button-up and run the Sanyos, just to avoid itchy eyes and runny noses..
Cooling at 24C (75.2F) feels okay, since the air is pretty dried up by the Sanyo.
Old 11-30-12, 10:18 AM   #19
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Mansion with the windows open using electric heat with the air conditioner running during an outdoor temperature that I don't even bother turning on my heat?

I'd get an energy audit, seems like you have no insulation or something but then again I don't know anything about your place or your consumption habits. Do Californian's heat their house to 80 degrees in the winter?

Your January usage is not far from my yearly usage over the past 12 months of 1779kwh.
December and January were really bad. We had a lot of friends and family staying with us during that time period. There were 3 motorhomes/travel trailers hooked to the house sucking electricty to heat them. It seemed like someone was up at some point 24hr a day. And no 80 deg is a bit to hot. 68 deg when we are here and up and 60 when we are not. Only used A/c for two weeks this year during a heat spell. Normal summer night was open some downstairs windows and turn on the whole house fan all night. The bottom floor of the house is entirely tile and retains the cool most of the day. And yes the house is above the average size.

Hv23t
Old 11-30-12, 11:51 AM   #20
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

That makes sense. Motorhomes and the like aren't very efficient due to their temporary nature for cost savings on their build and the need/desire for more size inside versus insulation and efficient appliances, heating, etc. I've always thought it was crazy that they had 50 amp plugs on many or probably most of them.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote