EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-10, 09:57 PM   #36
AntiochOG
Lurking Renovator

I've been keeping my house much cooler this winter than I previously would have. I have my thermostat set for 50 when I'm out of the house or sleeping, though the lowest I've seen it get is 53. When I'm awake and home I've been keeping it between 54 and 64 in the main living area depending on how frivolous I'm feeling. I've noticed that over time I'm getting comfortable at lower and lower temperatures.

I keep my bedroom heat off and the door closed at all times. I haven't measured the temperature in there, but I imagine it is around 50-54 all the time. I just got an electric mattress pad for Christmas and it is quickly becoming my favorite thing that I own. Preheating it and crawling into a warm bed in a 54 degree house is so amazing, then I turn it down really low for the night and sleep so comfortably.

I've been using my indoor dryer vent when I dry my clothes which raises them temperature in the house 3 to 4 degrees per load, but it is getting way to humid. I have a lot of condensation on my skylights and single pane windows. If I ever make indoor storm windows I'm hoping that will cut down on the condensation, but for now I think I may have to revert back to venting the dryer to the outside.

Last edited by AntiochOG; 12-31-10 at 10:00 PM..
AntiochOG is offline   Reply With Quote