EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-12, 02:35 PM   #11
Plantman
Lurking Renovator

3000 sq ft all electric house with geothermal. I have a well, so no water bill. I average about 150/mo at .10/KWH. This includes a continuously running electric fan and water pumping for 1200 sq ft greenhouse.

Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 03:02 PM   #12
Gerhardt
Lurking Renovator

1975sf in St Louis Mo electric average with central A/C for the past yr is 347 kwh per month with a 4.2KW solar system. average $8.77 per month. gas heat and hot water 15.96 therms per month average $38.11 per month.
Gerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 03:43 PM   #13
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
2400 sq ft, north Texas ~2500 CDD and 2500 HDD, all electric.

* should go down now with the Geospring heat pump water heater.
** was 140 with the old central heat pump. New 16-seer helps a ton!
I'm curious what the SEER of the old central unit was. A $40.00 cut in the electric bill helps, I'm sure.

I've been spending a great deal of effort this year on improvements(?) and the next thing on my to-do list in the spring is replace my SEER 12 central air {and change the bottom of the line, 77% efficient, natural gas furnace to electricity at the same time.} I have nothing to use to guesstimate my power bill reduction.

I'll go through my utility bills soon so I can chime in on usage.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 05:05 PM   #14
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Our total average for water+heat+electricity is currently $291/month. Recently been hit hard with smart meter time of day billing. Currently working on a project to store heat in off peak hours, will post an update on how this works out for me.
Sudbury, Ontario is cold.
You should start a thread laying out your usage, the rates and the periods. I'm looking at my usage thinking I have a big spike at dinner but I bet I'd save money if I went to time of use billing (which isn't an option here)
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 12:55 AM   #15
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

2690sf - only utility is electric, ok butane gas bottle for cooking - almost insignificant use - one 25Kg bottle lasts about 4 months (often more) and costs 14 euros.

Electric usage 580Kw/month average.
Oil fired central heating with additional home made air source heat pump.
Last years oil use was about 200 litres (currently costs around $1.25/litre).
Heat pump use is average 36Kw a day to run (I have it separately metred to measure consumption).
Summer time (around 6 months) little grid electric usage - we have 1Kw solar panels + batteries + inverter.
Solar hot water from roughly february to november.

Own well so no water charges, own septic tank so no sewage charges.

We pay (with all taxes) $US 0.255/KWh
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:13 AM   #16
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Arab {North}, AL; 1519 sf heated; 12 SEER central AC, 77% efficient natural gas furnace both running through attic duct work. Septic system. Natural gas water heater. Separate contract for garbage disposal. Expenses are for December 2011 through November 2012. Total outlay for the 12 months ending this month $1520.07, so average monthly is $126.67. Good records on electricity usage, spotty records for others.

Total water for year $154.57. Average monthly water $12.88. Base charge started at $12.46 and went up to $12.83 during the year.

Total electricity for the year $666.59. Average monthly electricity $55.55, average monthly usage 360.75 kwh @ 0.15398. {Bill total divided by kwh, so taxes & fees included} Total kwh for the year 4329.

Total for gas for the year $524.43. Average monthly natural gas $43.70. Base price for gas to power our water heater is $13.73 monthly.

Total for garbage collection $174.48 paid quarterly @ $43.62, or $14.54 monthly average.

I'm glad this thread was started, I've never bothered to do this math.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:59 AM   #17
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
I'm curious what the SEER of the old central unit was. A $40.00 cut in the electric bill helps, I'm sure.
I have no idea. It wasn't marked, but it was 20 years old. Based on the new unit's 16-SEER rating and the ~33% HVAC savings, I'm guessing it was a 10.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (11-06-12)
Old 11-06-12, 02:05 PM   #18
theworldtrekker
Lurking Renovator

Corvallis, OR; ~1250 sqft; older Trane 1000 series (10 SEER ideal, unsure of current rating due to age) central heat pump (AC not used); no gas or solar.

Water averages $46.84/month for about 1800 gal. Note: mostly random city fees on water bill, the water itself in OR is cheap (~2.?? per additional 748gal increment incl sewer). Low flow shower heads, but older toilets. Does not include HOA lawn watering which is part of the $40/month HOA dues.

Electric averages $63.60/month for 576KWh over the past 1.5 years. Comes out to about 11c/KWh from Pacific Power (large % coal, even in OR with BPA and its large-scale hydro). We were paying about 6-7c/KWh on the coast under Central Lincoln PUD which, up until about 2 years ago, was getting 100% of its power from BPA.

Garbage collection is $15/month.

Phone/Internet is ~$55/month for 1.2Mbs service from CenturyLink.
theworldtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 02:23 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

My new usage for this year is in and looking better than last (at least cost wise). This year I'm looking at $155 per month for the following:

Electric - $56
Natural gas - $49
Water - $50 (flat rate, can't change it)

Average electric cost: $.20/kwh (this is my total cost divided by kwh used, so it includes all service charges)
Average natural gas cost: $.92 (this is my total cost divided by therms used, so it includes all service charges)
Sewer is a flat rate since I have my own well and just use city sewer. My water use isn't metered (yet, I plan to add a meter for my own records).

This year the solar hot water WILL be finished... so it should take a nice dent out of the electric (what I use for DHW) and natrual gas (what I use for home heating).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 12-20-13 at 03:07 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 03:04 PM   #20
stefanc
Helper EcoRenovator

I pay an average of $119 per month for electric at $0.127 per KWH.
No water/sewer/gas bill. I also burn about 4 cords of wood per year which I cut and split myself.

House is 1775sf in southeast PA. Has electric baseboard heaters that only get used in my daughters bedrooms on some nights when the woodstove heat doesn't get up there.

I'm working on a build it solar-style hot water tank now that will be fed from a coil on the woodstove and from three 3x8 hot water panels on the roof. I have an airTap that will be used as a backup also feeding the tank. Even if the backup runs all the time, I should be saving a bunch over the current heater.

stefanc is offline   Reply With Quote