EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-09, 03:00 PM   #1
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Chest freezer as water storage tank?

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the R-value is on a chest freezer, and if anyone's ever thought of using one as a hot water storage tank for a solar heating system?

It seems to me that those old gigantic freezers would serve a new purpose as a hot water storage tank for a solar water heating system. but would they be strong enough to retain that much liquid without reinforcement? Or what about half-burying it in the ground to add some strength/insulation? thoughts?

cdig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdig For This Useful Post:
pinokio (11-13-10)
Old 12-10-09, 03:13 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Interesting idea cdig. The first thing that would worry me is the plastic lining. Can it hold up to the water temperatures it would see? I think adding insulation would definitely be a good idea. Other than that, I don't see any problems, except possible leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 09:30 AM   #3
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

yeah, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to insulate the inside with a layer of foil-backed insulation and then put in a plastic liner.
Old 12-11-09, 09:37 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I'd also want to test it outdoors. If it isn't structurally strong enough to hold the water (which really weights a lot)... well, you don't want that anywhere in the house.

&
Old 12-11-09, 09:49 AM   #5
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

yeah I'm thinking more and more of adding a solar shed on the side of my garage, it would house the water tank, provide storage for yard stuff, and also be a heated place to put a sandpoint pump for watering our horses.
Old 12-11-09, 09:54 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

I really do like the freezer. There is always someone selling those things or willing to give them away if you come and pull it out of their house. It could be a sizable cost savings in a solar hot water setup.

&
Old 01-17-10, 12:30 AM   #7
Joe
Lurking Renovator

That is a great idea, I was looking into a hot tub, an old beat up one with a cover and everything for $50 on craigslist.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 02:35 PM   #8
Joe
Lurking Renovator

so I picked up my free non working chest freezer from craigslist sunday and hauled it home. Its 14 cf so I think thats about 100 gal. my friend has some left over epdm roofing material he is going to give me so im gonna fill it with water and see what happens.
Old 02-23-10, 02:54 PM   #9
Daox
Administrator

Nice! Be sure to snap some pictures if you can for us.

&
Old 03-03-10, 04:21 PM   #10
Joe
Lurking Renovator

So I filled it with water yesterday and let it sit, it actually held up very well, didn't even bulge. I want to add some bulkhead fittings to it so I can run the 1" pex for the exchanger coil and the 1/2" pex for the collector lines through the side but the only problem is that the wall is about 3" thick and I cant seem to find any cheap ones this long, any ideas? I dont have my camera at home yet but as soon as I get it I will take some pics.