EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-11, 09:20 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Efficient dehumidifier

Well, it looks like my dehumidifier in my basement took a dump on me. I let it run (80% humidity down there) and a day later there was only 1/4" of water in the bucket. So, it looks like its time for a new one. I'll be looking at the energystar website shortly.

But, is there a better way to do this? Is there any way to dehumdify the basement while cooling the upstairs? Or, would it be best to stick a heat exchanger outside? Maybe its best just to repair mine? I'm open to ideas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 07-11-11 at 09:56 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 11:04 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

As with all energy star rated appliances, you can download an excel file with all the rated products. I downloaded their list and sorted them by efficiency (L/kWh).

Not surprisingly, the more efficient units are much larger whole house type dehumidifers. They can remove 2.6 to 3.5 L/kWh.

The standard capacity dehumidifiers which I'm sure are what most people are familiar with have much lower efficiencies which max out around 2.5 L/kWh. The ones avaliable from the local home improvement store are around 1.8 L/kWh which doesn't sound too bad, but 2.5 L/kWh sounds a lot better to me. We'll have to check out prices next.

&
Old 07-11-11, 11:48 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Well, it looks like the first four or so (all the 2+ L/kWh) dehumidifiers are really pricy at around $1k. Some are even still ducted ones for whole house use. This brings us down to the 1.9 L/kWh which isn't far at all above the 1.8 L/kWh I can just get from the local store for well under $200. So, it looks like I may just go that way if I don't get any other ideas.

I'll still have to take a look at what one I have at home and determine if it might be worth repairing it.

&

Last edited by Daox; 07-11-11 at 11:50 AM..
Old 07-11-11, 04:42 PM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

A window A/C unit, or split A/C unit will pull water out of the air while dumping the heat outside, so it really depends on if you use your dehumidifier all year or just in the summer, my house is tight enough now, after doing air sealing an insulation last summer that we have the dehumidifier set to 50% all winter, 45% when it's really cold, otherwise the windows frost up even with new double pane windows.

Last edited by Ryland; 07-11-11 at 04:49 PM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 05:21 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I just run it during summer. In winter the humidity isn't a problem. This is just in the basement too.

&
Old 07-11-11, 10:52 PM   #6
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Then go with A/C, it'll remove water from the air as it cools, if you have a root cellar then cool that part first.
Only reason not to use A/C to dehumidify that I can see is if your basement is to cold in the summer and you need the heat, but that is seldom the case, you can also hook it up to a humidistat so it comes on automatically.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 11:48 PM   #7
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Going a step farther, instead of just a straight A/C unit get a heat pump water heater. Not only will it dehumidify the basement, but the heat can be stored while the cooled air ducted upstairs where you need it.

Edit: I just remembered that you've recently switched from a hot water tank to on-demand.
Old 07-12-11, 11:40 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Then go with A/C, it'll remove water from the air as it cools, if you have a root cellar then cool that part first.
Only reason not to use A/C to dehumidify that I can see is if your basement is to cold in the summer and you need the heat, but that is seldom the case, you can also hook it up to a humidistat so it comes on automatically.
I have an extra window A/C unit I'm not using. Would it be possible to just use that? Just set it down there, add some type of drain and run it? I might even be able to rip the humidistat controls off the old dehumidifier to run the A/C unit.

&
Old 07-12-11, 02:38 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I might even be able to rip the humidistat controls off the old dehumidifier to run the A/C unit.
Don't forget, your de-humidifier's compressor is probably OK and is just yearning to be hacked into some kind of DIY dream-come-true.

-AC_Hacker
Old 07-20-11, 01:23 PM   #10
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Crawl space dehumidifier question

I've got a real moisture problem in my crawl space and have already started investigating a crawl space dehumidifier that would be plumbed to drain outside, as it has no holding tank.

The part that most puzzles me is ventilation. If I install a dehumidifier, do I block / cover the foundation vents? {I'm asking here because you have experience with a closed up space already.} We called our termite inspector and he said to leave the vents open. That is not intuitive to me. My gut reaction is to close them from the outside so I don't try to dehumidify north Alabama.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote