EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-18, 07:29 AM   #1
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Default Converting Halogen tripod worklights to LEDs

Hi,

Another of the projects I have done to convert the lighting on my property to LEDs involved converting a couple of tripod mounted halogen work lights to LEDs using 30 watt COB flood lights.

I simply unscrewed the halogen fixtures from the tripods, and mounted the COB floodlights in their place. One of the worklights had a bar at the top that had 2 halogen fixtures mounted on it. The other had a single halogen fixture mounted to it.

Both of these I had gotten at thrift stores over the past couple of years for about $5 each. They had been tipped over by their previous owners and the halogen fixtures were damaged, and then were donated to the thrift stores.

I had originally intended to replace the damaged halogen fixtures, but when I found a source of inexpensive LED floodlights (see my post here for a discussion about my experience with COB LED floodlights), I decided to go that route instead.

I got a 24 inch section of aluminum T bar from the local scrap metal place, and used that to convert the single tripod into a dual-light work light. I ordered a pack of "5 pointed star shaped knobs" with 1/4" female threads to mount the lights on the aluminum t-bar. I mounted the t-bar onto the tripod using the existing knob, and added a bolt that I put through a hole I drilled through the t-bar and the top of the pole of the tripod to give it more rigidity.

What I wound up with was two fully functional dual headed tripod mounted worklights that cost me a total of less than $35 dollars each. New versions of these retail for over $100 each. The tripods alone sell for about $35 on Amazon.

I was able to re-use the tripods, the electrical cords, and the switches that were on the thrift-store tripods. Each tripod now puts out about the equivalent of two 150 watt halogen lights -- sufficient for my needs, but now only uses only 60 watts of power.

The first two pictures are of the tripod worklight that already had two lights on it. The remainder are of the second tripod that originally had a single light but i converted it to dual lights by adding a piece of aluminum t-bar i got at the local metal scrap yard.

Philip

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193501.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	8311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193515.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	8312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193610.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	8313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193627.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	8314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193651.jpg
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	8315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193720.jpg
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	8316  

Last edited by phreich; 07-05-18 at 10:03 PM..
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 09:30 AM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

I don't really use mine enough to worry about converting them to LED.
If you use them all the time on generator power might be worth it, try one to make sure they don't cycle off and on every time a power saw or some other big draw turns on.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-22-18 at 10:48 AM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 03:26 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Do you have a link to the LED lights you used? I have two tripods in my garage that need new lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 08:27 AM   #4
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Do you have a link to the LED lights you used? I have two tripods in my garage that need new lights.
Hi,

I just searched for 30W COB floodlights on "Amazon warehouse deals" (Amazon's open box store), and found a number of them for very little money. You need to test them once you receive them to verify they are actually producing 30 watts of power. Read the thread I posted regarding my experience buying and testing these lights (I referenced it in the first post in this thread). A "kill-a-watt" meter is very useful for testing them.

Here's a link to one I found doing a quick search:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00N9V90ZS

They look very similar to the ones I used on my tripods. Just verify that the cooling fins on the aluminum housing are robust and not thin like a "tin can", and that it is actually producing 30 watts of power..... This seller has 2 of them "open box", for around $10 each including shipping (not shipped by amazon, but still covered by Amazon's guarantee).

Here's a search I did on Amazon warehouse deals:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?sf=col&rh=n%3A10158976011%2Ck%3A30w+le d+flood+light&bbn=10158976011&keywords=30w+led+flo od+light&ie=UTF8&qid=1540299602

At the time of the search, there is a 2 pack of 30w fixtures for $26 (13 each). They aren't a "cob" version, but they probably would work fine if they test out okay. I prefer this "style" of fixture for the tripods, because the edges of the glass are protected by the bezel that holds the glass in place, unlike some of the slimmer versions that expose the glass to the edges. The tripods can get knocked over, and having the glass edge protected is important....

The actual ones I installed on my tripods are no longer being sold. But here is another option that I tested and am using elsewhere:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFVGCQ4

This may be the same as what I used on my tripods -- it's from the same seller and it looks to be the same, but it's a different listing (also not an open box "deal"):
https://smile.amazon.com/LEDMO-LED-Flood-Lights-3000K/dp/B07D9DTYNV

I hope this helps,

Philip

Last edited by Daox; 10-25-18 at 07:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to phreich For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 08:46 AM   #5
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info!
I have 4 on order that I will use to convert my two tripods.
I got 2 of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00N9V90ZS?pldnSite=1

Then these.
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Rotatable-Floodlight-Weatherproof-Locations/dp/B0773W6ZRT/ref=sr_1_1?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1540302354&sr=8-1&keywords=30w+led+flood+light&dpID=41e6hoqM-EL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by Daox; 10-25-18 at 07:41 AM..
Old 10-23-18, 10:38 AM   #6
oil pan 4
Land owner

How do they deal with voltage fluctuations?

I have seen complaints that cheap LEDs will turn off when something big starts up.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 10:46 AM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I will be able to tell you that very soon. I will be using them where I have my welder, car lift, compressor 6.5 hp, plasma cutter all 240 volt.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 10-24-18, 04:03 AM   #8
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
How do they deal with voltage fluctuations?

I have seen complaints that cheap LEDs will turn off when something big starts up.
Hi,

During my testing of these LED COB floodlights, I found that most of them are using constant current based LED drivers that run on almost any AC voltage from 100v to 240v AC. So I doubt that these would skip a beat if the voltage fluctuated. One of the problems I found was that some of the Chinese manufacturers put in a driver that outputs 30 watts at 240 volts AC, but only puts out about 20 watts at 120 volts AC. The LEDs don't flicker or do anything really unusual, but they are underpowered, and so have a reduction in the lumens they output. I suppose the only benefit is that the LED chips would last a LONG time due to this under-driving.

This is why I tested each floodlight I bought with a kill-a-watt meter to verify that the light that was rated at 30 watts was actually drawing 30 watts.

I did note that some of the floodlights had a really bad power factor, but this doesn't really mean anything to residential users because, as I understand it, the residential electric meters used in North America don't register the power lost due to a device's bad power factor, so this doesn't affect our residential electric bills.

I hope this helps answer your question,

Philip
Old 11-29-18, 06:12 PM   #9
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Default How did your LED tripod work light conversions work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I will be able to tell you that very soon. I will be using them where I have my welder, car lift, compressor 6.5 hp, plasma cutter all 240 volt.
Hi Pinballlooking,

Just curious to see how your tripod mounted conversions to LEDs went. Did you test while doing a high current draw using your welder or lift to see if they fluctuate -- (oil pan 4's concern)?

The LED floodlights I used work fine, even with a 15 amp mig welder running. I haven't noticed any fluctuations -- have you?

Let us know....

Philip
Old 11-29-18, 07:56 PM   #10
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I don’t want to admit it but they are all still in their boxes. I will get to them but I have been researching Geothermal as much as I can before the big install.

I work for myself and business has been great this year. I am not complaining but it leaves less time for projects.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Tags
halogen work light to led, tripod led worklight