Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-10, 12:46 PM   #1
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Garage / workshop project

My garage build has officially restarted. I thought I'd keep a thread on the project to share what I am doing, and to help me stay motivated. (All long projects get old at some point.)

Here's the history. The foundation was started in the fall of 2008. The footprint is 24' by 36' and I have it situated with passive solar in mind. It will have a gambrel roof, and the area upstairs will be a 16' x 36' room. The plan calls for a 1/2 bath down and a 3/4 bath up (both to be completed later), 5 solar tube skylights to light the upstairs: bathroom (1 10") and open area (4 13").

The foundation is concrete blocks, backfilled and tamped, a layer of pea gravel to level it out, vapor barrier, 3/4" extruded polystyrene, rebar on a 2 foot grid, 3 Loops of 3/4" PEX tubing in the slab, connected to a Radiantec hydronic radiant floor manifold, buried in 4" of concrete with flyash. There is also 2" extruded polystyrene around the inside perimeter of the concrete blocks for a thermal break.

The delay in the continuation of the project was purely money. We couldn't scrape up enough to get it weathered in, so we didn't want to start "hanging lumber." That said, Saturday (4/10) I went to the lumberyard and bought 10 2x8x12, 30 2x6x12, 6 2x10x12, 100 2x6x8, 12 sheets of 7/16 OSB and 2 sheets of 1/2" thick 4x9 extrudued polystyrene.

My regular job is desk work so the process of rearranging my attached garage so all this would go inside for the build, plus unloading the trailer had me exhausted. It's great to be started, again! If any of you have suggestions or ideas you'd like to share, I'm happy to have them.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote