EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-12, 04:02 PM   #11
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

plugged into a different socket. Currently the washer is in one and the Ted is in the other. It stopped reading yesterday morning while the washer first started but collecting readings the entire second load. I'll keep monitoring for awhile. If it stays consistent that the readings sometimes stop while the washer runs I'll order a noise filter for the washer to see if that helps.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 10:03 PM   #12
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I wasn't going to get the TED with the remote display as I was far more interested in graphs and overall usage then instantaneous reading around the house.

I got the display because it was priced the same as the model without so why not. I then put it in the kitchen by the stove mostly as a way to point out to my wife that the lights in the range rood she likes so much use 100 watts and light up the stove but the overhead lights use 50 watts and light up the entire kitchen.

Tonight we were in the kitchen and I noticed that opening the fridge door is a 60 watt jump. It has to be the bulb(s)? in the fridge. Shocking that my fridge light takes that much power. I haven't seen cheap LED's to replace it yet. I'll keep an eye out. Luckily it only runs maybe 5 minutes a day...
Old 10-18-12, 03:06 PM   #13
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Another day another comparison reading
Smart meter again says 15 kwh used
Ted says 15.914 used.

A few possibilities. for the .9 difference
The smart meter may not round, it could be 15 until the instant it crosses over into 16.

The smart meter may be rounding but due to the two not going live at the same instant they aren't exactly in sync as to when to roll to the next value

The TED and smart meter may not be reading exactly the same amount.

2 days of data isn't close to enough to do adjustments on the TED to make them match assuming it is off.
Old 10-18-12, 03:52 PM   #14
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

If the spread grows and grows then there is a problem somewhere.
Obviously..
Your meter arrived fast, I ordered my meter before you, still waiting for both my watt meters to show up, anticipation.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 04:10 PM   #15
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I got it from radioworld.ca which is in Ontario somewhere. I order my HAM gear from them and they had the TED on sale. I placed the order online and they sent me an email saying it was shipped about 30 minutes later.
Old 10-19-12, 03:36 PM   #16
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Another days readings. I was 30 minutes late in reading the meter...

SMart meter 17 kwh
ted 16.596 kwh

So over 3 days now
smart meter 47 kwh
ted 47.217

I really can't complain about that accuracy at all.
Old 10-22-12, 03:21 PM   #17
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Ok after 6 days of readings the TED is off by 0.4% from my smart meter. This is close enough I've decided I will no longer be running outside and reading the meter every day at 1:00 in the afternoon. I will instead add a note in my spreadsheet and readings will from now on be midnight to midnight which is trivial to read from the TED rather then me doing the hour by hour calculation to get the 1 -1 reading. I suppose the next step is to get some software link updating my spread sheet automatically.
Old 11-04-12, 02:47 PM   #18
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Pleased to report that the Ted reading and the meter reading still match exactly.

The load profile to match the hotwater heater seems reasonable but I don't trust that it's 100% catching every minute the heater is running. I'll be getting my arduino current measuring going again soon. I plan to use the arduino just to know that current is flowing and not care what the value returns as then use the TED measurements to Come up with real power used values.