EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-11, 08:04 AM   #451
RKA
Lurking Renovator

Almost there! We got a string of gorgeous weather on a holiday weekend. If there ever was a sign from god.... Thanks to all your help and my friendly neighbor, we spent 6 hours on electrical (also had to fix a pre-existing issue), another 3 hrs mounting indoor bracket and outdoor wall brackets, and another 5 hours finishing electric to the indoor unit, mounting it and running linesets. Last night I did a 200 psi test on nitrogen. It fell 0.8 psi over 3+ hours as the temps started dropping, so I was satisfied everything was okay. I'm vacuuming now. Got down to 350 microns after an hour of vacuuming and still dropping. I'll let it run for another hour or so then blank everything off before I head out to pick up supplies to dress up the line sets. If all goes well, I'll spend the day making things look pretty (and water tight) and tonight my neighbor will help me do the final connections at the panel and we'll fire it up! So excited! Can't thank you guys enough for all the help and for this thread! The cost of hiring this out was prohibitive, so this never would have happened, but it's also my first real DIY project on this house (our first)!

Last edited by RKA; 11-28-11 at 08:29 AM..
RKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 08:37 AM   #452
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

WOW!! That's a sweet lookin install!! That's the best way to use a wall mount!
Solid as a rock. The only way you will hear that from indoors, is to stick your head out a nearby window..
But, I don't see any little rubber spacers under the feet..
That could just be a Sanyo thing. They likely don't do a whole lot..

How many inches of clearance do you have between the siding and the unit?

Oh yeah, don't panic when you turn it on. It's suppose to that quiet...
Old 11-28-11, 08:54 AM   #453
RKA
Lurking Renovator

Spacers are there...they are the same color as the outdoor unit and wall bracket...plus image quality from a phone conspires against me! I did drop the bottom half of one spacer into that ivy, but before winter sets in, I'm determined to hack away at the ivy and find it! BTW, did the sanyo come with bending springs pre-installed on the lines coming out of the indoor unit? We were worried about making that tight turn straight down out of the wall sleeve, then once we formulated our game plan, we peeled back the foam sleeve covering the short lines from the indoor unit and found the bending springs!! Doh! That was a pleasant surprise!

We got about 6 inches or more between the siding and the unit, however, the instructions recommended a minimum of 17 feet of line set to prevent noise from transmitting from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit, so we created a 5 foot coil behind the condensor for the extra line set. I really didn't have a choice...next option to avoid the coil was going to involve 50+ ft of line set and routing refrigerant and electrical across my basement.

Last edited by RKA; 11-28-11 at 08:59 AM..
Old 11-28-11, 09:06 AM   #454
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I can't see if you have a cut off valve on the service port, or not.

If you don't, don't turn off the pump (with connected), unless it has anti-back-flow installed.
Don't need to repeat your work..

That spacing looks a tad tight, but be okay. You will need to reach back there and yank
off the leaves that collect in the fall..

Hey, that loop looks like the one I have on Sanyo#1.
You got bending springs??? Wow!!

I sent you a PM. Regarding pump etc.
Old 11-28-11, 09:13 AM   #455
RKA
Lurking Renovator

Yeah, I bought a 5/16" to 1/4" adaptor/valve core removal tool which has it's own shut off valve to isolate the vac gauge.
Old 11-28-11, 09:36 AM   #456
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post
Yeah, I bought a 5/16" to 1/4" adaptor/valve core removal tool which has it's own shut off valve to isolate the vac gauge.
Maybe I'm a goof, but I'm just not seeing any advantage to removing
the core, instead of just pushing the core pin down..?.

I've seen those tools, but for some reason, I figured they were for changing leaky cores..?.

But, if the method works, without vac-loss.. It's all good..
Old 11-29-11, 10:58 AM   #457
RKA
Lurking Renovator

It was made for doing exactly what I was trying to do, but I was losing too much vacuum when reinstalling the core and fiddling with the shut off valve, so I pulled as much vac as I could, quickly reinstalled the core, then hooked up the vac pump to the side port and reconnected the gauge to the tree on the pump. The readings at the pump were at least a few hundred microns lower (less accurate, which was to be expected). I then did several vacuum pulls with some resting time between each. I got it down to 75 microns at the pump, disconnected all the lines and released the refrigerant. I really should have followed your advice but I'm a scardy cat! Anyway, she's running!! Unfortunately it was about 65F last night when I was trying it out so I didn't get a good feel for how much heat this thing can spit out. Hopefully we'll get a really cold spell in the next few weeks to see how long it takes to bring the garage up to temp. My expectation is it will raise the temp from 35 to 65 in 1 hour or less.

I'm astonished at how quiet it is. I knew what to expect of the indoor unit, having used these in hotels in Asia and Australia, however the outdoor unit just blew me away. Even quieter than the indoor unit! No vibrations at all, just the sound of the fan whirring away, so nothing to transmit indoors! I'd have no reservations about doing a wall mount with these units based on what I've seen last night. Maybe that will change when I put a larger demand on it?

Last edited by RKA; 11-29-11 at 12:06 PM..
Old 11-29-11, 11:11 AM   #458
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Yeah, it will make some whooshing noise when it's running full out..
The main problem I see with wall mounts is the low-freq sound conduction.
Plus, since the freq of the vibration can vary all over the place,
it might resonate wall and other structural components.
Making it sound like a helicopter is flying over..

I'll have to look at the manual for one of those core tools.
I can't see how it could be of any use, except in replacing a core,
without having to remove the R410A charge..

I hope you aren't doing this whole core-removal thing, to prevent a 1/2 second hiss of gas escape..
Because the chamber area inside the tool is going to hold some gas, which will escape in any event..
Old 11-29-11, 11:34 AM   #459
RKA
Lurking Renovator

That core/adapter was originally used to speed the vacuum and get the vac gauge close to the service valve for an accurate reading. Unfortunately for me, I also needed it as a 5/16" - 1/4" adapter because they never included one (sales guy said he would put it in the box but never did). Anyway, we removed the whole assembly once the vac was pulled, then released the refrigerant.

I took these yesterday just for you! In this orientation, that doo-hickey is nothing more than an expensive adapter. This was the final orientation I PM'd you about...core was reinstalled and vac was pulling out of the side port on the core removal tool (which has a vacuum rated valve in it). Vacuum gauge is hooked up to the tree on top of the pump resulting in slightly optimistic numbers.

Last edited by RKA; 11-29-11 at 11:39 AM..
Old 12-31-11, 10:03 AM   #460
eco_fred
Lurking Renovator

how could you check the vacuum.... (now in the pic you can't)
it should be on the airco without the pump running if you would test that now
you would loose your vacuum.(if you turn off the vac pump that is..)

rule n1 never use fancy pull thingies
use a manometer install the pump on the gauge.(manometer is not that expensive)
on the vac inlet then connect it to theairconditioner

if you have some questions be glad to help you
i am a refrigeration engineer and have some idea how to do this
otherwise it looks nice

Fred

eco_fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, diy, heat pump