EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-17, 01:41 PM   #141
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default How's it going?

R,

Haven't heard from you, give me a call.

-AC

Old 04-09-18, 11:22 PM   #142
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

someone asked about large scale heat pipe applications? how about a heated driveway that is powered by the earth?

https://pangea.stanford.edu/ERE/db/W...2015/29041.pdf

By the way I love this thread. What's the lowest Hz you've run the compressor at? from what I've read on split systems (mini or full size inverter systems) there's a minimum speed, and separately a minimum speed that must be run occasionally to achieve good oil return. is this just not an issue on a system so small (pipe-wise, not capacity)?

I'm also wondering if you've considered the need for a receiver. is this unnecessary again? or perhaps effectively included in the volume of your bphx/dryer? some of the refrigeration machines I've seen have receivers nearly equal in volume to the compressor housing itself.

If there's any more details you'd like to share on the operation of the VFD than what you've posted so far, I'm very curious to hear it.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 07:23 PM   #143
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Fellow eco-renovators.

Thought I would issue a milestone. The DIY shop heatpump has now been operating since October 29 2014 without any problems what so ever!!! That’s 5 yrs trouble free. In fact I have gained so much confidence in the system I left it operational for a month keeping the shop at 16 deg C while away for vacation

Heating and air conditioning all the while sipping electrons. It was a very trying build but the outcome has exceeded my expectations

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
CrankyDoug (01-21-19), Daox (01-24-19), Fordguy64 (01-11-19), tamkov (11-18-23), u3b3rg33k (01-14-19)
Old 01-10-19, 07:28 PM   #144
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Fellow eco-renovators.

Thought I would issue a milestone. The DIY shop heatpump has now been operating since October 29 2014 without any problems what so ever!!! That’s 5 yrs trouble free. In fact I have gained so much confidence in the system I left it operational for a month keeping the shop at 16 deg C while away for vacation

Heating and air conditioning all the while sipping electrons. It was a very trying build but the outcome has exceeded my expectations

Randen
Sure.....wallow in your success, LOL
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-19, 10:58 AM   #145
pavel
Lurking Renovator

Default Great job!

Great job!
pavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 08:13 AM   #146
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Eco renovators. This past 12 hrs we have outside air temps of-20 deg C And all my heat- pumps are flexing their muscles. Miserly sipping electrons sequestering heat stored 2 m deep in the ground from the previous sunny season warming our feet on the hydronic floor.

In these cold temps the houses 3.5 ton is running flat out as it was sized appropriately. To be completely honest it is loosing a little ground but during the day with a little sun coming in it quickly catches up

I find it odd when I hear someone wanting to retain their NG unit or what ever for back- up. A properly sized HP is all that’s required. Maybe it’s just nostalgia???

Randen
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-24-19)
Old 01-21-19, 04:22 PM   #147
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
I find it odd when I hear someone wanting to retain their NG unit or what ever for back- up. A properly sized HP is all that’s required. Maybe it’s just nostalgia???

Randen
Or maybe they don't trust their heat pumps. Since R410 replaced R22 the number of evaporator failures has gone though the roof. Manufacturers know what the problem is and they know how to correct it. They and the installers have no desire to correct the problem.

Warranty doesn't cover labor so the installers are happy charging $600-$1200 to replace a coil. Manufacturers are OK with sending out coils that cost them $50 knowing the customer will probably buy a new unit after the third coil. Do they care if the customer goes with a different brand? Not if all of them have the same issues.

Salesman: If you are unhappy with your Goodman we can sell you an Amana (same product, different paint).

Isn't that why we started hacking these things in the first place?

Doug
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 10:32 AM   #148
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Hello Eco-Renovators

Thought Id give you a up-date on the DIY 5ton shop ground source heat-pump. It is Nov. 15/2022 and -2 Deg C outside with snow flurries. A couple weeks ago I had moved the controls from Air-conditioning to Heating and the homemade heat-pump over the past 8 years has kept me comfortable in the shop. No maintenance has been needed. WoW!!

Pretty outstanding I would think!!

Randen
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
Fordguy64 (11-29-22), jeff5may (11-17-22), pinballlooking (11-17-22), skyking (12-27-22), tamkov (12-27-22)
Old 01-05-23, 01:31 PM   #149
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

You're the champ!!