EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-09-11, 07:19 AM   #1
Indyplumber
Lurking Renovator

Default electric car power

Wouldn't it be possible to apply wind power to an electric car's power system?
With all the talk about limited range because of battery storage capacity, I think it would possible to install a wind powered generator in the place of a spoiler. It wouldn't help very much in city driving because of the short distances and the stopping and starting but I think it would be great for extended distances. Because most wind powered generators require a minimum wind speed before activating, a car traveling 40+ mph would, I think, generate more than enough wind, even for a downsized turbine.

I'm not an electrical engineer (hence the name IndyPLUMBER lol) but the power generated could either go directly to the electric motor(s) or the battery pack could be split so the turbine charges 1/2 while the other 1/2 runs the motor(s) and then switches when one side gets too low.

It's just a thought.

Indyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 08:01 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

The problem there is that it takes power to spin the wind turbine. That power would be coming from the batteries in the car. Now, the batteries have to not only push a car down the road, but also push a windmill down the road. Even though the windmill produces power, it isn't 100%+ efficient. So, due to the efficiency losses through the system you would just slowly bleed more power than not having the turbine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Indyplumber (08-10-11)
Old 08-09-11, 09:27 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I did some figuring a while back and found that even replacing the alternator on a gas car with a prop that a prop the size of the radiator would need to be going 55mph before it put out the same kind of power that the standard car alternator does and at that point it would also need to be 15 feet in front of the car to be out of the turbulence as the space at the front of the car is not moving in a smooth or straight line.

Add to that, that in converting wind energy to electrical you can only hope for a 50% conversion because after a point the air starts to move around the turbine as if it is a solid object.

But the short answer is, you can not charge a car off it's self, if you try to you end up with a very complex heater, because every step that you have produces heat.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Indyplumber (08-10-11)
Old 08-09-11, 09:53 AM   #4
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

If it were to be tried you should use a axis turbine in place of the spoiler but would need to add a trailing edge to cut down on drag. In doing this the angle from the roof to the top edge of the turbine will need to be in the wake a bit with the trailing edge extended to the point that it will meet the 10-12 degree angle needed to keep drag down.

I'm not saying that it will have any benefit or work well but if you are thinking of trying something like this I would recommend going to EcoModder.com
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
Indyplumber (08-10-11)
Old 08-09-11, 02:22 PM   #5
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InfinitePower.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1681  

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 08-11-11 at 12:25 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Ryland (08-31-11)
Old 08-10-11, 04:17 PM   #6
Indyplumber
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the info all.
Indyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 12:55 PM   #7
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

COOL!

Thanks, Really!

I have several of those INFINITE POWER devices at home and now I know how to utilize them correctly. So, the trick is to convert the ICE car to a 120V electric vehicle so it can use one of the three or four remaining plugs.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote