EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-14, 08:27 PM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It sounds like a great project but we need pictures.

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 09:32 PM   #12
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Some details .. . .

Walls are 4 inch SIPS, 12 feet long. Spline is a 2x4 glued and stapled to the next SIP.
I assume you mean "tall". Panels are typically 4' wide.

The panel is attached to pressure treated dimensional lumber that is attached to the foundation. This type of constructions uses a LOT of construction adhesive !

Quote:
Roof is on trusses (4/12 pitch). Trusses every 4 feet. Roof panels 6 inch SIPS.
This is a bit unusual. This is probably the most cost effective solution for your application.

Roof panel are typically made one piece from the ridge down to the overhang, if possible. The roof panel is then set on a structural ridge beam and the top of the wall. If the "spline" is too long for 1 piece of dimensional lumber or the dimensional lumber is not strong enough for the length (as is likely in your case), they may use a wooden I-beam. If the panel is too long, purlins can be installed end to end and then shorter panels are joined on top of the purlin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	4730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	2099
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	4731  
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-14, 06:34 AM   #13
stevehull
Steve Hull

The insulating value of the SIPS is really just icing on the cake. I get really tired of mice, rats, bugs - especially scorpions when you are working on the ground. The SIP structure is almost bug vermin free.

Strength was another major factor. We get a lot of "straight line" winds here in Oklahoma and metal buildings just get beat up rather fast.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this SIP is a trial run as we are going to tear down the old farmhouse we are living in and will rebuild with SIPS. Perhaps 6-8 inch walls and 8-10 inch roof. There is a learning curve and my local contractor and I have figured out most of them by doing this shop.

What did I do . . . Got the pad ready and leveled. Put up batter boards/string for layout. Dug piers into ground ten feet apart. Bent a lot of rebar for piers. Watched concrete crew fill pier holes (could have done this myself) and put in rough water line and electrical conduit. Built forms for stem wall, had crew come in with clips and assemble forms. I did all the rebar work in forms. Watched concrete crew fill forms, level it and put in J bolts. They screwed up on this and did not put them in where I marked the forms. A few of the J bolts ended on where the 2x4 wood spline held side walls together (some spade drilling necessary). Then I pulled off forms and filled interior of site with fill dirt to elevate interior space to within 3 inches of final level.

Scoured Lowes and HD for doors with minor dings. Found doors for almost 60% off that need a bit of TLC (scraped paint) on corner. Now looking for similar windows (fixed glass) three being 5x6 feet and two being 6x4 feet.

Waiting on metal trim before metal "ag" roof install. Today we caulk all corners and foam up a few places where we burned out a bit too much foam. Not truly necessary, but lessons learned.

SIPS don't come with a lot of instructions and an important lesson is to label each as it comes off truck with a sticker that tells you the size, outside, inside, etc. I will do the house with stickers - blue for outside, red for inside, yellow for down edge, pink for up edge, etc. This will reduce a LOT of the flipping and head scratching we did (wasted time). The SIPS get heavier and heavier with each flip . . .

Now I just have to figure out how to get the pictures off the iPhone, onto my computer and to this site!

Another benefit is that after this few weeks of real work my work jeans fall off . . . .

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 10-29-14 at 06:37 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-14, 07:22 AM   #14
stevehull
Steve Hull

Wizard, Yes, I meant the side panels were 12 feet TALL. Got used to measuring all the panels when they were on the ground stacked up.

The roof panels were tough as there were 8, 10, 12 and 14 foot panels. All 4 feet wide. Cut up some business cards to the geometry above and moved them about on paper until all panel edges ended on truss.

Steve
Old 10-29-14, 08:07 AM   #15
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Small area inside for conditioned space office (12 x 28 feet).
Sounds like a perfect application for a mini-split heat pump.

Quote:
Stem wall on 18 inch diameter piers about 3-6 feet deep) until rock was hit.
Hmm ... Not common in my neck of the woods ! The stem wall would be dug down to the frost line, formed and poured.

Quote:
Pavers on the floor for water drainage ...
Brick pavers are expensive around here. I like the idea, but I would not want to stain them with oil or whatever.

Quote:
... 20 amps of electricity for a few lights.
I recommend you reconsider this ! You could install a 6 circuit breaker panel feed by 50-60A from your main using MHF direct burial wire for not a whole lot more (depending on the distance from main breaker panel). Plan for the future

Quote:
Another benefit is that after this few weeks of real work my work jeans fall off . . . .
Ain't it great !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-14, 09:27 AM   #16
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am not an iPhone guy but just email them to yourself get the email on your computer and post them.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-14, 11:10 AM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I'm a iPhone guy , you can plug it into your computers usb port without any special software , windows will ask you if you want to download the photo and video files off it.

But it may not work for full quality pictures that way, Apple and windows do not get along so well without software.

If you don't mind having it on your computer Download itunes and it will import your photos off the phone for you from there you can move them to your picture folder in windows.

Just plugging into the USB port may work fine without itunes.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-14, 02:15 PM   #18
stevehull
Steve Hull

Wizard,

I ended up burying in conduit #6G copper, 240 v sp. That will allow me a lot more power (10kW) in or out.

Got lots of 12x12 pavers already here. I buy them by the truckload as they are cheap ($1 each) and can be sealed with concrete sealer.

Remember where I am at (Oklahoma). Our frost line is maybe 18 inches and the piers that I put in are clearly overkill.

And yes, a 30K mini spilt would be perfect. But that will have to wait a year or so . . . . .

Pictures coming!

Steve
Old 11-14-14, 11:38 AM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Where are the pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 02:13 PM   #20
stevehull
Steve Hull

My iphone 6 seems to have a glitch as I can't send the pictures. I think I configured the phone wrong to work with secureserver.

Pics soon!

Steve

Tags
shop building, sips