EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-28-14, 09:00 AM   #51
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I believe all of them run the water through it for the home depot ones.

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 08:05 PM   #52
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Any one have one of the home depot ones all in one that runs the water through it ? If its any cheaper to run than the regular dryers.
Old 03-03-14, 01:26 PM   #53
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Found the energy guid label. Shows it uses 128 kw per year with 8 loads a week. 14 bucks a year with a electric water heater. Im trying to find a energy guid to a dryer and washer to figure out if it would use less electricity than a regular washer and dryer.

Last edited by nokiasixteth; 03-03-14 at 03:51 PM..
Old 03-06-14, 03:23 PM   #54
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Found a energy guid at the store . Seems that the condensing dryer would use less power per load vs a regular dryer would .
Old 03-12-14, 01:26 PM   #55
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Im going to take a guess and say no one knows weather the ventless dryer and washer that uses the water would use less electricity. Vs having a high efficiency washer and dryer.

LG Electronics 3.6 cu. ft. DOE High-Efficiency All-in-One Washer and Electric Ventless Dryer in White-WM3987HW at The Home Depot
Old 08-25-14, 08:04 AM   #56
Zooomer
Lurking Renovator

I'll help you guys out on this one since I use a condensing dryer and have been looking for a heat pump dryer for 2 years in the US. I even considered ordering one from overseas but they are made for 50hz power and we're 60 here.

None of the units you can buy in the US have heat pumps or peltiers in them. "Condensing" simply means there is a heat exchanger in them and it doesn't vent. The heat exchanger is passive, it uses room air to cool the electric element heated air via exchanger. Condensing dryers either have a water reservoir that you must empty or if they are a better unit like mine, there is a pump and dump hose. This is just for the condensate.

They are terribly inefficient and take 3 hours to dry clothes. The "high efficiency" part you're reading is the washer part of combined units where they use less water. U an single and do a lot of laundry for a single guy because I workout a lot but my site sage is showing 94KWHs for the last 30 days washer/dryer, which my power dynamics unit says is 39 cents a load but I don't know what they use to determine load in a power cycle.

In Europe, it is illegal to vent a dryer outside no matter what design so all dryers are condensing. this is why they had heat pump dryers over 10 years ago. In the US our lack of dryers is a combination of the US government not working on the Energystar certifications and manufacturers not pushing and paying them for it. In a free market, we'd of had them a while ago.
-------------------
May 27 2014, EPA releases certification for energy efficient dryers. They must use 20% less electricity using the parameters set forth by the EPA. Within 3 weeks Whirlpool has a unit certified. Other manufactures are quickly following. We will see something in the US markets this year.

*Edit to add. LG is claiming to be first to market:
It won't let me post links but you can google search LG heat pump dryer and change date to within the last week. They announced yesterday.

Last edited by Zooomer; 08-25-14 at 08:07 AM..
Zooomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 08:12 AM   #57
Zooomer
Lurking Renovator

I have begun assembling the parts for a heat pump hack dryer inspired by AC Hacker. I have an electric dryer, window AC and a few other resources. Space constraints are my biggest issue.
Zooomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 09:15 AM   #58
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooomer View Post
I have begun assembling the parts for a heat pump hack dryer inspired by AC Hacker. I have an electric dryer, window AC and a few other resources. Space constraints are my biggest issue.
This is music to my ears!

You are the first person on EcoRenovator to attempt to do this.

It seems to me that an electric dryer is an excellent candidate for a hack.

I wish you the very best on this project, and I hope you post all the details and photos as you go...

Best,

-AC_Hacker
Old 08-26-14, 01:31 AM   #59
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Hack approaches...

I was thinking about this project a bit, and one way to do the hack would be to gather heat from your ambient environment via the evaporator, and use the heat released by the condenser as your 'heating element'. This would be an open loop system.

But a possibly better way would be to use your hacked heat pump as a de-humidifier, and your evaporator would alternately freeze and melt any moisture in the clothes... while the condenser would elevate the temperature of the process.

This last configuration would handily capture moisture, and contain the heated air within the dryer unit, making it a closed-loop system.

Hopefully, the General Purpose Controller will be sufficiently developed to act as a controller for your project... and it could sense humidity and stop the dryer when the desired 'dryness' had been achieved.

Best,

-AC
Old 08-26-14, 06:00 AM   #60
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I'm on the move with the hacked heat pump dryer as well but some of you guys put my glacial pace to shame. I'm still collecting parts after a year or so.

It will defo be a self contained recirc air type as we don't need to humidify the indoors in our humid summer and "she who must be obeyed" doesn't like clothes lines so a condensing we will go.

Too many projects, not enough time.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote