EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-09, 01:11 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Spraying weeds with vinegar (organic weed killer)

I found this today and thought it was interesting. I have some flagstone pieces as a walkway to my house. Grass and weeds are always creeping through the small stone that is around them. Looks like this might be a good way to get rid of them.

Spray Weeds With Vinegar? / May 15, 2002 / News from the USDA Agricultural Research Service

Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 06:00 AM   #2
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

damn... 5% concentration? I'd just use 100%. at 5%, the $3 1.5 gal bottles I get would last forever.

guess I need to start spraying and see.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 06:16 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

I don't even know where you'd get 100% vinegar.

Quote:
A bottle of household vinegar is about a 5-percent concentration.
Old 08-07-09, 07:13 AM   #4
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

oh... i was seeing it more as... cutting the vinegar you have in a container with water, so 5% vinegar to 95% water. So, in other words, yes, use it straight out of the container.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 12:23 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I found another way of killing weeds. They give you the recipe for a spray.

Organic Weed Killer - 37424 - Recipezaar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-09, 02:22 PM   #6
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

I have used vinegar in the past. It is not very affective on most weeds but it does damage them. I am probably waiting until they get too old to spray them. There used to be a herbacide that was vinegar based (Scythe I think) that had a higher acid concentration. I definitely would only use the recipe that includes salt on the driveway or walkways or nothing will grow. I am tempted to get a weed flamer.
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 12:18 AM   #7
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I want to see someone try this on Japanese Knotweed. My Father's yard (and unless I do something about it, my yard also) is full of the stuff. It grows like a... well, a weed.

Back in the day, I've gone so far as to pour hot oil from a fryer on it. It wilts, those few stalks die, and it just grows up a few days later, right in the same spot.

I've dug a 6 foot deep hole in the ground... the root structure is like hair, first of all. Secondly, the hearty roots start out as a knot about a foot in circumference... 6 feet down, it's a foot in circumference. I stopped digging there.

If the stuff had a real use, I'd love to keep it, but other than goat/sheep food, it's completely worthless, other than that it burns extremely hot. It's difficult to light off, though, so it doesn't even make a good fire starter for warming the house! Well, that's a lie. If you use an aggressive accelerant, it will light off rather easily. It won't always stay burning, though.

In the Vernus (Spring) you can actually break sections off and there is a good amount of water in each section. It sucks it up and keeps it stored. It's all over Northern Pennsylvania.

It has small flowers that bloom on it during the Vernus, they're white, and about 1-2mm per bud. Honey bees love them, but I'm not sure if they serve a purpose in the existence of the species, since any part of the plant will re-grow into another plant, so it seems.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote