EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-09, 11:46 AM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Weatherstripping

Can anyone recommend any good weatherstripping? The stuff that I have on my door is over 6 years old, and it sucks. I close my door and it doesn't even compress the weatherstripping so it barely seels the door shut. It's the weatherstripping that came with the door so I'm looking to peal it off and put on some new stuff.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 12:27 PM   #2
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

The open cell foam style covered with vinyl seems to work pretty well. It came with one of our doors but I know you can buy it. Our other doors have mostly the aluminum rod with the vinyl v or o gasket. It is not very affective.
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 12:02 PM   #3
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

For sealing around a door, I like bronze spring weatherstripping. This is the weatherstrip that comes in a roll, you nail it do the door jamb, then run a screwdriver along a seam and it springs out to seal against the door. The bronze is very durable and can be adjusted for different gaps by re-scoring the seam with a screwdriver. Use a pair of tin snips to cut around deadbolts and locks.

The foam and vinyl weatherstripping I've tried wears out and become less springy over time. I've had bronze weatherstrip on my front door for 6+ years and it works great.

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 12:22 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I like the idea of bronze since it will last forever. But, I don't think it works as well as a rubber type material. The rubber will deform to fit the door exactly. This creates a great seal so you don't have air infiltration. The bronze isn't as flexible, and if there are any irregularities in the door you'll have leakage. Rubber type materials also conduct heat much slower than bronze.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 12:04 AM   #5
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Garage doors that open to the inside, I just tack the weatherstrip right to the perimeter of the door so it's sealed against the inside of the door jamb. I'm not sure if this is optimal, but it sure stops those cold breezes.

Makes the inside of the door look like crap, though... If the door opens outside, you put the weatherstrip either on the outside of the door, or on the inside surface of the jamb.

If anyone needs something to illustrate what I mean, I can show a bad drawing or something.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 03:18 PM   #6
Higgy
The Gardener

I think I know what you mean but I'm not positive I follow. If you could throw up a drawing I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-20-09, 07:51 PM   #7
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I think I know what you mean but I'm not positive I follow. If you could throw up a drawing I'd appreciate it.
BY the way, I didn't mean roll-up doors, I mean man-doors.

Notice how the door seams are covered by the weatherstrip, applied to the door jamb/frame all the way around the door. This prevents drafts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weatherstrip.jpg
Views:	2168
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	347  
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 04:37 PM   #8
Higgy
The Gardener

Ya, I figured you meant man-doors.

Hmm...that's a good idea. I mean, when it's closed you wouldn't see it so who cares. As long as it does the job.

Thanks man.

Tags
weatherstripping