EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-14, 08:40 AM   #1
cobra2411
Lurking Renovator

Default Hello from PA

Just wanted to say a quick hello.

I recently bought a fixer-upper outside Parksburg Pa on a little over 2 acres. Sure, it's not the 25+ acres I hope to have one day, but it is a nice step up from 1/2 an acre.

Anyway, my main reason for coming here is ideas on how to heat the house efficiently. The insulation has already been improved, but at around 2k sf in these frigid temps it's taking 5 gal/day and that's only set at 60. I think the thermostat is off because it feels warmer than 60...

Being an HVAC contractor my first thought was propane with a heat pump, which I still may do, but now I'm looking at wood furnaces. So the new plan is to run an inexpensive wood furnace with separate ducting to heat the house with the oil furnace as a backup. Basically I'm going to set the thermostat at a minimum temp and if the wood furnace can't keep up the oil furnace will come on.

I'm also looking at solar collectors with a storage tank and in wall radiant panels. I figure I could add a hot water loop to the wood furnace to help augment that system. In the end a wood boiler will probably be better, but I'm hesitant do to the fact that I've been spoiled by cheap NG furnaces... Also, I have a lot to do so budget is always an issue. I'm looking at a DAKA 521 right now and with the added ductwork and chimney it's still going to be a lot cheaper than doing the full propane/heat pump conversion which will free up money for other improvements...

I guess that's it for now.

David

cobra2411 is offline   Reply With Quote